Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I transfer H1B and work for new company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I transfer H1B and work for new company?

Here is the situation,

1. I had first L1B and later H1B from Jan 2007 till March 2011 from company A
    ~ 4 years 3 months (3 months were spent in India so 4 years were spent)

2. Its been 1+ year I have returned and I am trying to find new employer who can file fresh H1B under 2013 cap so that I can get fresh 6 years for me to work. But unfortunately no company is ready to wait till Oct 2012.

3. One company B is ready to offer me job on my old H1B. so that I can begin employment ASAP. (Late May or early June)

my questions,

1. Can company B transfer my H1B by filing new cap-exempt petition? Since I am outside for 1+ year can I still use my old H1B? I797 and visa on passport says its valid till Aug 2012.

2. H1B visa stampped on my passport is valid till Aug 2012. So can I use that + new petition + offer letter to travel to US in June 2012?

3. As I understand I will have 2 years left on this old H1B and company is ready to file GC for me. I am aware that PERM + I140 needs to be clear to get extension. But I am confused whether should it happen 365 days before expiration?

Please help as if this is possible I need to initiate this ASAP without loosing more time to file new GC

Thanks

1. Can company B transfer my H1B by filing new cap-exempt petition? Since I am outside for 1+ year can I still use my old H1B? I797 and visa on passport says its valid till Aug 2012.
    >>> No. If you use the old CAP, then you will get only 6 year minus whatever time that you have already spend in U.S in H1B + L1 combined. If your enter U.S in a old CAP and ask another employer to file a H1B petition under new CAP, you will still get only the remaining period left in the old CAP and not 6 years. If you want to get fresh 6 years, then the H1B should be filed under a new CAP and you should enter U.S in that petition and start working from Oct 1st.

2. H1B visa stampped on my passport is valid till Aug 2012. So can I use that + new petition + offer letter to travel to US in June 2012?
    >>> Yes.

3. As I understand I will have 2 years left on this old H1B and company is ready to file GC for me. I am aware that PERM + I140 needs to be clear to get extension. But I am confused whether should it happen 365 days before expiration?
    >>> Either PERM should have been filed 365 days prior to the end of the 6th year or if PERM is filed in the 6th year, then both PERM and I-140 should get approved within the end of the 6th year to get the 7th year extension.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks shrevin.
      For your first answer, let me ask the question in different way ...

Is there any rule that I can not use old H1B since I have stayed outside of US for more than one year?

The challenge is company B is not ready to wait till Oct 2012 and asking if you are ready to come immediately next week on old visa?

Comment

Is there any rule that I can not use old H1B since I have stayed outside of US for more than one year?
        >>> There is no such rule.

The challenge is company B is not ready to wait till Oct 2012 and asking if you are ready to come immediately next week on old visa?
        >>> Not sure what you are getting at. You cannot use employer A's petition to work for employer B. Employer B has to file a petition on your behalf and it should get approved for you to travel to work for employer B. You can use the old H1B visa from employer A to travel to U.S with the new employer's approved H1B petition (I-797) as long as the old visa in the passport remains valid. If you use the OLD CAP, you will get only the time remaining in that CAP (6 years - whatever time you have already utilized in that CAP) even though you have spend 1 year outside U.S.

Comment

Thanks for reply!

Company B is not ready to wait till Oct to start employment so new H1B is ruled out.
          Since I am already counted in old CAP, company B is ready to do H1B transfer (get new petition) and since my passport already have stamp I can very well travel in May 2012 to begin my employment.

Now this employment can be only for 2 years which are left in my old H1B so company B is ready to file GC immediately in June 2012 so that 365-day rule will be applied for my LC (Hopefully my LC and i-140 will be approved by the end of this 2 years period and I will get another 3 year extention)

My fear was that since I was spent 1 year outside, I can not use old H1B's petition but looks like that's not the case. I can present it to new company, using CAP from that petition they can file for new H1B for me and I can begin employment in May 2012 instead of waiting till Oct 2012.

Comment

That should work.

Originally posted by gatanesakharam View Post
            Thanks for reply!

Company B is not ready to wait till Oct to start employment so new H1B is ruled out.
            Since I am already counted in old CAP, company B is ready to do H1B transfer (get new petition) and since my passport already have stamp I can very well travel in May 2012 to begin my employment.

Now this employment can be only for 2 years which are left in my old H1B so company B is ready to file GC immediately in June 2012 so that 365-day rule will be applied for my LC (Hopefully my LC and i-140 will be approved by the end of this 2 years period and I will get another 3 year extention)

My fear was that since I was spent 1 year outside, I can not use old H1B's petition but looks like that's not the case. I can present it to new company, using CAP from that petition they can file for new H1B for me and I can begin employment in May 2012 instead of waiting till Oct 2012.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply!

Comment

One more small query

Hi shervin143,

One more small query in same context.

When I was working with company A from 2007-2011, Company A had filed GC under EB2. Unfortunately PERM was audited and later denied in 2010. The appeal was filed in 2010 without any decision when I left US in March 2011.

Since now company B is ready to file GC, I believe it will be fresh new EB2 application. Will my old application have any adverse effect on this? (because it was in appealed state?)

Thanks

Comment

The old PERM denial will not have any impact on the new GC.

Originally posted by gatanesakharam View Post
                  Hi shervin143,

One more small query in same context.

When I was working with company A from 2007-2011, Company A had filed GC under EB2. Unfortunately PERM was audited and later denied in 2010. The appeal was filed in 2010 without any decision when I left US in March 2011.

Since now company B is ready to file GC, I believe it will be fresh new EB2 application. Will my old application have any adverse effect on this? (because it was in appealed state?)

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X