Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK MSc eligible for H-1B visa?

Hi everyone,

I have 5-year combined Bachelor/Master of Electrical Engineering, followed by a a 1-year MSc Petroleum Engineering, both from European universities.

I now want to work as a Petroleum Engineer in the US on an H-1B visa. Am I eligible?

From my research, I found an H-1B visa requires education that is equivalent to a US bachelor's degree. I wonder if this is the case here, since I only have 1 year of petroleum-related education.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Another interesting tidbit: even if my education is not considered to be equivalent to a US bachelor's in petroleum eng, not all petroleum eng jobs require a petroleum eng degree. For some jobs, any engineering degree will do. Could this be the solution for me?

Comment

Check the requirement for H1B here. Go for an educational evaluation to be more certain.
      https://www.immihelp.com/h1-visa-requirements/
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you, Shervin. I will look into educational evaluation. I was just hoping someone here could give me a first indication based on their experience.

What about my other question: assuming my education is equivalent to a US bachelor's in electrical engineering, and assuming the H-1B job concerns a Petroleum Engineering (PE) job requiring a (any) Engineering degree, will my (non-PE) engineering degree be adequate for the H-1B, or will I a PE degree be required?

Thanks!

Comment

This is very specific to a job in your field. The employer who is willing to sponsor the H1B will be the only person who can answer this question. I will let other forum members who are in the ralted field to answer this. I have no clue.

Originally posted by Concojones View Post
          What about my other question: assuming my education is equivalent to a US bachelor's in electrical engineering, and assuming the H-1B job concerns a Petroleum Engineering (PE) job requiring a (any) Engineering degree, will my (non-PE) engineering degree be adequate for the H-1B, or will I a PE degree be required?

Comment

Based on the numerous (Petroleum Engineering) job openings I've seen requiring any Engineering degree, I take it that I'll be able to find an employer willing to hire me as a Petroleum Engineer. As I see it, the question is if the US government agency issuing the H-1B, will want the engineering degree to be in Petroleum Engineering. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

It is not just the education that is taken into consideration while approving a petition. If you have relevant experience in the field with a four year engineering degree, that will also be taken into consideration. Depending on the job requirement and the experience needed, the employer and the lawyer will be able to take care of it if they find you to be a perfect fit for the position. An experiences lawyer will know what documents to submit and how to project the case. Like I mentioned, only the employer and their lawyer can help you. I have no clue about the requirement for a Petroleum Engineering job.

Maybe someone with the relevant experience will respond to this thread.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X