US Working Visa and prior Arrests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Working Visa and prior Arrests

Was hoping anyone could shed some light on a worrying matter for me.

I am currently in employment negotiation with a company in the USA and it's getting close to an offer, which would mean i will need to go through a visa application at the consulate.

I am concerned though that a previous arrest without any conviction in the USA will affect my visa application and may result in me losing the job before it even started.

This January I was in New York taking a 3 month study program. During this time, I made a stupid mistake and was arrested and charged with a Class A Misdemeanour - 240.50 - Falsely reporting an incident to police. I was not held and was given a Desk Appearance Ticket and appeared in court a month later. No conviction was given and the judge downgraded the charge to a standard violation and a fine was paid. No criminal record or history was given to me on this violation. The appointed attorney and even the officer I paid the fine too said this was no different to being given a speeding ticket in the USA. Apart from the fact I was arrested, fingerprinted, photographed and made to appear in court.

This was my first ever arrest anywhere and i deeply regret my actions. Now that it looks like I have been successful in the application for work in the USA, I am very concerned this will have a negative impact on any visa application such as the H1B or the E3 and I was hoping I could get some advice or guidance from anyone here as to what I should expect from this and also if I should even be concerned.

Will this arrest that resulted in no conviction mean that I won't be given a working visa?

Any information you could give me would go along way to putting my mind at rest. I really hope this extremely unfortunate and stupid error of judgement on my behalf won't ruin what could be the chance of a lifetime and the dream job.

Thanks guys, any advice you could offer would be extremely appreciated.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X