LandLord Issues!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LandLord Issues!!!

I am having issues with my landlord. I have been living in the apartment for the last 2 years
    he is making un-necessary demands about fixing something in the apartment which I dont think I am responsible.
    Currently i am pursuing my green card and my employer has submitted by i-140 application to uscis.

My question is if my landlord sends me a legal notice of eviction or goes to court asking for compensation for fixing things in the apartment
    will it effect my green card processing?

I just want to be prepared for the worst case and make plans if it comes to that.

Thanks

Originally posted by user9821 View Post
    I am having issues with my landlord. I have been living in the apartment for the last 2 years
    he is making un-necessary demands about fixing something in the apartment which I dont think I am responsible.
    Currently i am pursuing my green card and my employer has submitted by i-140 application to uscis.

My question is if my landlord sends me a legal notice of eviction or goes to court asking for compensation for fixing things in the apartment
    will it effect my green card processing?

I just want to be prepared for the worst case and make plans if it comes to that.

Thanks
    GENERALLY SPEAKING - no, should have no impact on your green card processing. Here are a couple examples for you to understand if and how may impact your immigration status:

a) your kid drew all over the walls
    Your landlord may request for you to either clean or paint the walls. Depending on your rent agreement, you may or may not be responsible for it. Check your rental agreement. There is the assumption you keep the property in good shape - normal tear and wear is expected, but all the walls being drawn on is not. If you refuse to fix the issue, your landlord may sue you - but that is CIVIL SUIT, CIVIL LAW - not CRIMINAL LAW. Should not impact your immigration process.

b) you on purpose destroyed half of the apartment, set fire to the bathroom
    That opens the door for a CRIMINAL COMPLAIN, which means CRIMINAL LAW. THAT would impact your immigration process and most probably a future naturalization application

Read your lease, discuss w/ landlord. If it's not on the lease - he doesn't have a leg to stand on. If it IS on the lease - you'll have to comply.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X