Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New H1b. Help required while filling w-4

Hi,

My employer has asked me to fill W-4 form for me. I entered US a week ago on h1b. I am married and my wife is in India. She would be joining me in January 2012.

Prior to this, I was in US on B1 visa from April to August. I did SPT test and as per the test I will be considered as a resident alien for 2011. Now, I want to fill W-4 form.

As my wife is not here with me for 2011, I want to file taxes for 2011 as Single. I am filling up my "Personal Allowance Worksheet". In the worksheet, I have marked A and B as 1. Should I enter C as 1 ? If I enter C as 1 would it create a problem when I would be filing tax returns later in 2012 as I am filing the tax as Single ?

Also, being qualified for a resident alien, i mean dual status, while filing my tax returns, I need to fill two forms. Can I still file as a non-resident (though I pass SPT test due to B1 stay) alien with a single form and as "Single" status for the year 2011 ?

Please help.

You should not file as single as you are married.

As your wife is in India, you should file as 'Married - Filing Separately'.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your reply. Could you please suggest on marking A, B and C options on Personal Allowance Sheet as "1" as well ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X