Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E2 Spouse - Employment Authorization Document

Hello all.

Brand new to the community and hoping to find some help. I apologise if this question has come up in a seperate post before. I have never used a forum before and I don't really know how best to use them.

I arrived in the US yesterday, on an E-2 dependent visa to be with my wife. I am now looking to register for my Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

I didn't ask for a i94 at passport checks yesterday, so I've looked to access that online this morning. I have managed to find my 'Most Recent I-94' but it has confused and worried me. The 'Admit Until Date' on the I-94 is different from the 'Expiration Date' on my visa.

Is this normal? Or an error made by the CBP passport check guy?

If it is an error, and (as i suspect) the two dates should be the same, how do I go about correcting this?

Any help and advice would be hugely appreciated.

Hi,

The admit date is not necessary the same as your visa expiration. Typically, and depending on the visa you have, the POE Authority will allow to enter for a maximum of 2 years, even when your visa is good for let's say 5 years.

What you will have to do after those 2 years come to an end (or even a little bit earlier) is either apply for an extension or leave the country and come back again (you can't go to Mexico, Canada or the Bahamas though, you need to actually leave further and stay for at least a couple of days). If you are already planning on traveling often, then you don't have to worry because every time you come back you will be issued a new i94 (though it's done electronically now).

The only drawbacks of this are that your EAD will expire on the date your i94 does, and also will your driver's license. So every time you renew your status (i94), you will have to renew both your EAD and your DL.

I`m not an Attorney, so please check with one before doing anything.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Katy

Originally posted by aboybrit View Post
    Hello all.

Brand new to the community and hoping to find some help. I apologise if this question has come up in a seperate post before. I have never used a forum before and I don't really know how best to use them.

I arrived in the US yesterday, on an E-2 dependent visa to be with my wife. I am now looking to register for my Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

I didn't ask for a i94 at passport checks yesterday, so I've looked to access that online this morning. I have managed to find my 'Most Recent I-94' but it has confused and worried me. The 'Admit Until Date' on the I-94 is different from the 'Expiration Date' on my visa.

Is this normal? Or an error made by the CBP passport check guy?

If it is an error, and (as i suspect) the two dates should be the same, how do I go about correcting this?

Any help and advice would be hugely appreciated.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X