Travel abroad while L1/L2 is on extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel abroad while L1/L2 is on extension

I am on L1 status, my visa expired last year and currently I am on USCIS approved extension. I understand that if I or my L2 dependent leaves the US, we will need to get a new L visa in order to enter again. The question is, say if we decided to have a vacation abroad, and we went to Canada. What needs to happen to get a new L visa in this case? Do I need to go to my home country and apply there, or do it in Canada somehow? With previously approved I-979, will the application take less time?

Thanks!

Originally posted by cocreateguid View Post
    I am on L1 status, my visa expired last year and currently I am on USCIS approved extension. I understand that if I or my L2 dependent leaves the US, we will need to get a new L visa in order to enter again. The question is, say if we decided to have a vacation abroad, and we went to Canada. What needs to happen to get a new L visa in this case? Do I need to go to my home country and apply there, or do it in Canada somehow? With previously approved I-979, will the application take less time?

Thanks!
    Process is same, you will have to fill out the DS-160 for you and dependents take visa appointement, carry the paperwork and go for stamping. There is always an element of risk doing so in a third country because if for some reason if your visa is stuck in admin processing you will either have to abandon the visa request and fly to your home country from there or stay in that country till your admin processing is completed. In case of rejection you will have to go to home country from that country leavign all your belongings in US and start the process all over again in hoem country. Am sure that this would not be your idea of a good vacation.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X