Changing from L2 to F1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing from L2 to F1

I am on L2 and separated from my husband going towards divorce. I understand that my visa will end once we get divorced but since I would wish to attend school and continue my life here, I was thinking of trying to change to F1. I have already enrolled into a school and arranged my finances for that knowing I won't be allowed to work off campus. We have not filed any papers yet, and I would like to know at what point of the divorce process will my status as L2 here end? And would it be smarter to try and get the F1 before even starting the paperwork for divorce.

Thank you so much!

Your status will end when the divorce is final.

You must apply for change of status before that.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      Your status will end when the divorce is final.

You must apply for change of status before that.
      Yes, I understand that. What I meant was that can I "safely" maintain my L2 status while the divorce process is going? So let's say (and this is just guessing) that from the day we file the papers, it will most likely take from 4-6months for the divorce to become finalized, so during that time I am still allowed to stay in the country with my L2?

Someone also said that L1 and L2 holders must live in a same address. How does it work when couples separate? Should I keep my address at my ex's?

Comment

You can remain in L2 status until the divorce. There is no such rule.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X