L1B to H1B conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1B to H1B conversion

Hi, my employer is planning to file my L1B to H1B conversion this year. My visa as well as I94 expires on July 1st,13. I wanted to know couple of thgs here:
    A) is there anyway I can stay in US if my company files petition before my visa n I94 expiry?
    B) how soon do we get the reciept for filing? Can I work based on that besides staying in US?
    C) how soon do we get the approval notice from the date of filing? Can I work based on that besides staying in US?
    D) what is premium processing and is it beneficial to stay back n work in US after July 1st?
    E) if my company is not ready to pay premium fee, can I pay that difference then directly to USCIS? Do i need to inform my company or will need any doc frm thm?
    F) lastly, in future if I have to travel overseas , can I get my stamping done from Canada instead of India?

Originally posted by rajashri27 View Post
    Hi, my employer is planning to file my L1B to H1B conversion this year. My visa as well as I94 expires on July 1st,13. I wanted to know couple of thgs here:
    A) is there anyway I can stay in US if my company files petition before my visa n I94 expiry? -- Yes, by filing L1 extension
    B) how soon do we get the reciept for filing? Can I work based on that besides staying in US? -- No
    C) how soon do we get the approval notice from the date of filing? Can I work based on that besides staying in US? -- Your status does not extend until Sep 30 and H1 status cannot start before Oct 1. So the H1 approval will not include a change of status and so you cannot stay in the US between Jul 1 and Oct 1. For that you need extension of L1 status between those dates.
    D) what is premium processing and is it beneficial to stay back n work in US after July 1st? -- No, it just gets the decision more quickly.
    E) if my company is not ready to pay premium fee, can I pay that difference then directly to USCIS? Do i need to inform my company or will need any doc frm thm? -- You can pay the fee, but they will have to file it. It makes no difference to your situation anyway.
    F) lastly, in future if I have to travel overseas , can I get my stamping done from Canada instead of India? -- You can in principle apply for the Visa in any country.
    See above.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X