Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client showed interest in hiring but I'm on L1B visa

Hi,
    I have been working for same client for past 4 years. I have supported them based out of india for 3 yrs. And moved to US early last year. Based out of India I was on a team lead role with no direct people responsibility. When I moved to US, I took up a new role as an individual contributor and immediately after 4 months I was given an additional global role/responsibility. With my performance in last 6 months, my client has shown interest in offering me a same role on permanent basis on their payroll.

I'm currently on L1B visa, valid till March 2015. How should I proceed? Kindly advise what is the best way to switch company while on L1B visa. Would resigning from current company and applying to the new one is an open option.
    Last edited by crazyfox; 02-01-2013, 11:24 PM.

Originally posted by crazyfox View Post
    Hi,
    I have been working for same client for past 4 years. I have supported them based out of india for 3 yrs. And moved to US early last year. Based out of India I was on a team lead role with no direct people responsibility. When I moved to US, I took up a new role as an individual contributor and immediately after 4 months I was given an additional global role/responsibility. With my performance in last 6 months, my client has shown interest in offering me a same role on permanent basis on their payroll.

I'm currently on L1B visa, valid till March 2015. How should I proceed? Kindly advise what is the best way to switch company while on L1B visa. Would resigning from current company and applying to the new one is an open option.
    You should be applying a H1B before switching companies.
    If you resign on L1B with out H1, you might have to leave the country.

This is my opinion not a legal opinion

Comment

They will have to file H1 petition for you. It can only be filed when the cap is open. (Unless you have had an H1 petition in the past).

The cap opens on Oct 1 and petitions can be filed on or after Apr 1. You cannot begin working for the H1 petitioner before Oct 1. Moreover, you can only get a maximum of 6 years minus the time spent in the US in L1 status.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X