L1A to L2 Change of Status Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1A to L2 Change of Status Questions

Hi Everyone - I'll try to keep this as simple as possible. I can't seem to find these answers anywhere.

My wife and I both live and work in the US on L1A visas. I would like to quit my job, and file for change of status to L2 (dependent on her L1A) so I can work on personal projects and maybe start my own business. I have the following questions:

I know I need to file an I-539 to do this. But do I have to continue working at my job (the one that's provided me the L1A) while this is being considered, or can I quit my job right away and immediately file the 539 and stay in the US while waiting for it to be approved?

Also, I've noticed people talking about an EAD as well, which I don't know anything about. If the L2 is approved, am I good to start doing freelance work, or start my own business, or do I also need the EAD?

Sorry for all the questions. I've called the UCIS and I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone. Nobody seems to be familiar with this type of situation.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by sixtwentyone View Post
    Hi Everyone - I'll try to keep this as simple as possible. I can't seem to find these answers anywhere.

My wife and I both live and work in the US on L1A visas. I would like to quit my job, and file for change of status to L2 (dependent on her L1A) so I can work on personal projects and maybe start my own business. I have the following questions:

I know I need to file an I-539 to do this. But do I have to continue working at my job (the one that's provided me the L1A) while this is being considered, or can I quit my job right away and immediately file the 539 and stay in the US while waiting for it to be approved? -- You can quit after you receive change of status receipt notice. But if change of status is denied (not very likely if all things are in order) then you will be out of status.

Also, I've noticed people talking about an EAD as well, which I don't know anything about. If the L2 is approved, am I good to start doing freelance work, or start my own business, or do I also need the EAD? -- According to USCIS, you need EAD to start working. You can file I-539 and I-765 (EAD) simultaneously in the same envelope (using paper filing not EFiling). Both may get approved together, but one cannot predict.

Sorry for all the questions. I've called the UCIS and I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone. Nobody seems to be familiar with this type of situation.

Thanks in advance!
    See above.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X