Please help : L-1B extension - my case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help : L-1B extension - my case

My visa expiry date is Nov'2013 but I have I-94 valid until Dec'2015. Now, my employer is saying that they are going to file an L-1B extension for me. And this is what they are saying, "L-1 extension is a visa extension and once it's granted, it will allow me to re-enter the US as many times and work in the US until visa validity period."

Is this true? As per my understanding, L-1B extension is nothing but I-94 extension. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, I may be travelling out of the US some time after my current visa expires and want to re-enter. So, what do you suggest i need to do in this case?

Appreciate your help!

Thanks.

Originally posted by Forum123 View Post
    My visa expiry date is Nov'2013 but I have I-94 valid until Dec'2015. Now, my employer is saying that they are going to file an L-1B extension for me. And this is what they are saying, "L-1 extension is a visa extension and once it's granted, it will allow me to re-enter the US as many times and work in the US until visa validity period."

Is this true? As per my understanding, L-1B extension is nothing but I-94 extension. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, I may be travelling out of the US some time after my current visa expires and want to re-enter. So, what do you suggest i need to do in this case?

Appreciate your help!

Thanks.
    If extension request filed as pe ryoru situation currently in most probability USCIS will reject saying that extension is not required because you have I-94 valid beyond 6 Months . Even if L1 extension is approved, you would still need to go for a new stamping and get a new visa if you want to re-enter US after Nov 2013.

As per my knowledge no extension is required now, but when you travel out of US after current visa expires, you will have to attend L1 visa interview at consulate and get a new L1 visa in order to be able to return.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks much Raghvi for your response.

I have following questions/doubts. It would be nice if you could help clear them.

1> By "new L1 visa" you mean to say "visa stamping", and not a new L-1B petition. Am I right?
      2> I asked my employer to get my visa stamping done through Canada. They are telling me that, the visa stamping can only occur if the application for visa extension is approved. They can apply for an extension through Canada but cannot apply for a new L-1B in Canada. Any comments on this point?
      3> What if the extension is rejected, can I stay in the US until I-94 status validity (i.e. Dec'15)?

Comment

Originally posted by Forum123 View Post
        Thanks much Raghvi for your response.

I have following questions/doubts. It would be nice if you could help clear them.

1> By "new L1 visa" you mean to say "visa stamping", and not a new L-1B petition. Am I right?
        2> I asked my employer to get my visa stamping done through Canada. They are telling me that, the visa stamping can only occur if the application for visa extension is approved. They can apply for an extension through Canada but cannot apply for a new L-1B in Canada. Any comments on this point?
        3> What if the extension is rejected, can I stay in the US until I-94 status validity (i.e. Dec'15)?
        1. Yes.
        2. I doubt if that is correct search this forum, there are so many who have gone to Canada for stamping.
        3. Yes but you cant leave and come back after Nov 2013 without getting a visa stamping.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
          1. Yes.
          2. I doubt if that is correct search this forum, there are so many who have gone to Canada for stamping.
          3. Yes but you cant leave and come back after Nov 2013 without getting a visa stamping.

Thanks again Raghvi. Great help!

So, what is the process for visa stamping through Canada? Could you please point me to any thread/website which has some details. Actually I tried searching but couldn't find anything which will give me clear idea of this process.

Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X