Pursuing graduate studies with L2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pursuing graduate studies with L2

I am Sreeram Ganapathy from Chennai,India. I have got an admit for MS in an US university for Spring - 2014. I have a query regarding my visa stamping. My wife is presently working with Amazon and she will be moving to US with a L1 visa. Can I apply for a L2 dependent visa and enter the US to pursue my Master's instead of a regular F1 visa. Also I would like to know if there are any potential disadvantages in pursuing a Master's with a L2 visa.

Do I have to inform my motive to the VO during my L2 interview and display my i20 and get that stamped?

Kindly clarify me on this.

You can certainly do that. The disadvantage is that your status will be dependent on your wife's status. If she has to leave the US, you also will have to leave or change status. The other advantage of F1 is that you will get OPT at the end of the program. But L2 gives you an unconditional EAD anyway, so that is not a big concern.
    You can certainly mention your intentions if asked about it.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Pursuing graduate studies with L2

Thanks for the clarification Sir . So if I pursue my studies in L2 , wont I be able to get an OPT after my studies like F1???
      Do I have to apply for a EAD?

I contacted the University regarding this but they ask me to contact an attorney and they are not very clear about if they would accept a student with L2 status.

And also do I need to get another I20(or do I really need to ask for an i20 if i opt to travel in L2)??

Thanks in Advance,
      Sreeram

Comment

You can apply for L2 based EAD after you arrive in the US.

I-20 is not necessary, that is only an F1 thing.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X