L2 visa issued ..Surname wrong in Marriage certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 visa issued ..Surname wrong in Marriage certificate

My wife has got L2 visa from chennai consulate and she is expected to come to US in mid of October.

There is a mistake in Surname (Instead of letter "A" ..it is typed as "E" ) in our marriage certificate.

My surname is different in passport and marriage certifcate.

My Questions are :

1.will there be any problem at Port of entry ?

2. Is marriage cerificate necessary for her to get EAD or any kind of ID in US.

thanks in advance

Venu

Hi

As from personal experience:

They never check any other documents at the port of entry other than passport and visa (and I-20s etc etc......) because they simply dont have the time to do that UNLESS THEY HAVE A VERY VERY VERY GOOD REASON FOR DOING THAT . Thats why you go to the embassy to get that Visa with all those tons of documents. The consular officer at the port of entry just confirms you are the person entering and that you are not on a terrorist watch list. Marraige certificate will not confirm that.....picture ID (in this case passport) will. NOW THIS IS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND MAY NOT BE THE CASE EVERYTIME.

Nope EAD card (assuming its OPT) is a work permit and she will be working not because she is your wife but because she is applying as an independent candidate. So no marraige certificate required there too. At any point if she is applying for a dependent visa because she is your wife....you will require the marraige cert. If she has been approved for the L2 I am assuming the consulate doesnt have any problems with the certificate so why worry?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X