Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 one continuous year interrupted by travel to the US

Hi,

I've been employed by a US company abroad for the past 9 months and intend to apply for a L1 visa in 3 months.

I need to travel to the US for business for a week or two, and wanted to know whether this trip would break the "one continuous year" requirement for my L1 application?
    If I do this trip, will I be able to apply for L1 in 3 months, 3 months + the US trip duration or only in 1 year?

Thanks -

Originally posted by gonv View Post
    Hi,

I've been employed by a US company abroad for the past 9 months and intend to apply for a L1 visa in 3 months.

I need to travel to the US for business for a week or two, and wanted to know whether this trip would break the "one continuous year" requirement for my L1 application?
    If I do this trip, will I be able to apply for L1 in 3 months, 3 months + the US trip duration or only in 1 year?

Thanks -

brief trips to the United States for business or pleasure, do not interrupt the continuity of the one year of continuous employment abroad for L-1 status, but do not count toward fulfillment of that requirement. Such periods spent in the United States may follow the year of employment abroad and immediately precede application for L-1 status, so long as the required one-year of qualifying employment during the past three years has been served abroad

The wordings suggest that the few weeks travel should be after 1 Year stay in the company not during that period. If it is avoidable would say dont travel till you complete the one year stay, otherwise keep it to only a few days and add on those days to the 1 year, that is spend that many days extra abroad before applying L1.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X