L2 dependents SSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 dependents SSN

What documents are required to apply for a SSN for spouse and child?

Is it mandatory to apply SSN for Spouse and Kid?

SSN may be required to obtain car license, health insurance, etc for my wife?

Kindly help

Originally posted by ranjithkumarnair View Post
    What documents are required to apply for a SSN for spouse and child?

Is it mandatory to apply SSN for Spouse and Kid?

SSN may be required to obtain car license, health insurance, etc for my wife?

Kindly help
    I believe they are not eligible for SSN unless they plan to work.

They can get license, health insurance etc without SSN.

You would need to get their ITIN in order to file income taxes and claim the benefits. Use form W-7 for that.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Spouse of L1 visa holder is eligible for SSN, child is not.

You would need passport, i-94, marriage certificate and a filled in SSN form.

Comment

L2 dependents SSN

In Ohio SSN is needed for driving license otherwise declaration should be provided. Now a days IRS is asking to send original passport for ITIN but in case if you have SSN no need of ITIN. however your kids not eligible to get SSN.
        Also your spouse can directly apply for SSN even if she is not having EAD.

This is my opinion only.

Comment

Query regarding spouse (on L2 visa) eligibility for SSN

Hi,
          My spouse is on "L2 visa". Is she eligible to apply for SSN number?

In case she is eligible, then which checkbox should she check in section (5) :
          (B) Legal Alien Allowed To Work
          (C) Legal Alien Not Allowed To Work

Please suggest

(Note : She will not be applying for EAD.)

Regards

Comment

L2 dependent SSN

It is not mandatory to apply for SSN if your wife does not plan to apply for EAD and work in the U.S.

Incase you still want to apply for her, you will have to select the option Legal alien not allowed to work.
            (because one cannot work on L2 without first obtaining EAD).

This is not a legal opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jagjeet View Post
              Incase you still want to apply for her, you will have to select the option Legal alien not allowed to work.
              (because one cannot work on L2 without first obtaining EAD).
              No. In the perspective of the Social Security Administration, L2 spouse without EAD is allowed to work (same with K-1 without EAD), and that's why they are able to get SSNs. See this page where it lists these statuses as employment-authorized without authorization from DHS (as least as far as the SSA is concerned). You might not actually be able to work without EAD, but for SSN purposes it's what the SSA considers that matters.

People who are "not allowed to work" (according to the SSA) are in general not eligible for SSNs (there are very rare exceptions that do not apply for most cases). They should NOT choose that option.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Spouse on L2, can apply for SSN with or without intention to work.

Kids on L2, can apply for ITIN (they are not eligible for SSN) & cannot work.
                - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X