Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free lance work on L1B visa

Hi,

I'm currently on my L1B visa. Need your help to understand if I can undertake any freelance work while I'm on L1B visa?
    I have registered on a coding contest site and have won small amount. They want me to fill up W-9 form so that they can report earning to IRS and they would not release the payment unless W9 is completed... Can someone please advice about this? What would happen if I fill the W9 form and submit it to them?

Please advice.

Thank you.

Originally posted by get2arpit View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently on my L1B visa. Need your help to understand if I can undertake any freelance work while I'm on L1B visa?
    I have registered on a coding contest site and have won small amount. They want me to fill up W-9 form so that they can report earning to IRS and they would not release the payment unless W9 is completed... Can someone please advice about this? What would happen if I fill the W9 form and submit it to them?

Please advice.

Thank you.
    What you did was not legal. Getting paid could potentially cause even more problems.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      What you did was not legal. Getting paid could potentially cause even more problems.

Thanks Raghvi for your quick response. I was not completely aware about the rules and hence posted a query.
      Is there any other way I can accept the payment? My wife has a valid EAD and she currently does not work. What if she accepts the payment? Can this be legal?

Comment

Originally posted by get2arpit View Post
        Thanks Raghvi for your quick response. I was not completely aware about the rules and hence posted a query.
        Is there any other way I can accept the payment? My wife has a valid EAD and she currently does not work. What if she accepts the payment? Can this be legal?
        If you are asking about legality, then you working for them itself was illegal. So any payment thereof, irrespective who gets paid, would also be illegal.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X