Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1B-I94 extending by visiting Mexico/canada/India

Dear Friends,

I am working with dependent visa (L2 EAD) and my Husband is on on L1B visa, our I-94 and Visa going to expire on May 2015. We both plan to file H1B next year, so we need to have extend I-94 for atleast another year to continue work until H1B get stamped in October (hopefully picked in lottery).Also L1B extension approval rate is very poor. And due to personal reasons we are not able to go to India to get new I-94 when return back. So we are planning to go to neighboring country (to Mexico or Canada) to check our luck for getting I94 extension . Here are my questions. Appreciate you in advance for your kind help.

a) What is the best option to visit and more chances of getting extended i-94? India or Canada or Mexico?
    b) Consider if not able to go to India now. What is the best option Canada or Mexico?
    c) will i-94 get extended for sure or its just luck?
    d) So, if my I-94 also extends (by luck) at port of entry, do I still need to renew the L1B Visa?
    e) Any guidance on how or where to visit ib Canada or Mexico? We dont have any idea on this.

It would be great help if you could answer these questions.
    Last edited by mailtomusic; 08-15-2014, 04:24 AM.

I-94 with new dates beyond May2015 can only be obtained now by applying a new L1 Visa .On existing L1, getting a new I-4 with new dates may not be possible now as I-94 is system generated and no more depends on the Immigration officer at port of entry.... Canada is a good option .

This is just an opinion through my experience...I will suggest clarifying from your company's visa team

Comment

As you said I-94 is system generated and so the date is arrived based on visa expire date, passport expiry date.. which ever comes earlier. If your visa is going to expire by 2015, then you will I-94 till that date only, provided your passport validity is more.

And you can visit any country and can come back, system is gonna give the same date...

Comment

Thanks for your response. Even I thought the same, but recently my colleague went back to India for vacation and when he return back he got I-94 more (1 year) than the Visa expiry date.

Comment

L1b-i94

Were you able to find solution. Can you please share your findings. I was being told that nearby countries like Canada, Mexico do not work for I94 extn. Is that true? My I94 is a manual card whereas for my family it is electronic/paperless. Does that make any difference?

Comment

solution?

were you able to find any solution to this. I am in the same boat.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X