L2 to Green card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 to Green card

I am currently on L2 EAD status and my employer wishes to file for my green card. My spouse's L1 visa is expiring in 2016. Will I still be dependent on her status after applying for Green card?Is there any way in which she be a dependent on me after 2016? Below are my questions:
    1) Since I am qualified to apply under EB-2, what is the time frame to apply for I-140 and then apply for adjustment of status and get the EAD?
    2) If my company is not ready to bear the expenses, Can the application be done without a potential sponsor?
    2) What are the expenses for applying this green card for the entire family?
    3) How long do I need to maintain my L2 status? Can my wife and kid's name also be included in the application?
    4) I work on a contract thru Company X for Company Y. Can Company Y apply for my GC or does it have to come from the consultant?

Originally posted by mbhavesh1 View Post
    I am currently on L2 EAD status and my employer wishes to file for my green card. My spouse's L1 visa is expiring in 2016. Will I still be dependent on her status after applying for Green card?Is there any way in which she be a dependent on me after 2016? Below are my questions:
    1) Since I am qualified to apply under EB-2, what is the time frame to apply for I-140 and then apply for adjustment of status and get the EAD?
    2) If my company is not ready to bear the expenses, Can the application be done without a potential sponsor?
    2) What are the expenses for applying this green card for the entire family?
    3) How long do I need to maintain my L2 status? Can my wife and kid's name also be included in the application?
    4) I work on a contract thru Company X for Company Y. Can Company Y apply for my GC or does it have to come from the consultant?
    Which is your country of birth?

1. It depends upon your country of birth. I140 approval can happen within a Year, if no audit on your PERM, but for AOS and EAD if country of birth is India, you are looking at a wait of 6-8 Years. Now, your L2 will expire much before that, so eventually you would need to move to H1 in order to continue working.
    2. No, Employment based immigrant petition do need an employer unless you have extraordinary skills to self sponsor.
    2. There are various variables, attorney costs, I would put a ballpark of 6-10K for a family of four.
    3. As explained in point 1, for Indian born, you will eventually outlive your L2, so would have to move to H1.
    4. GC is for future employment, any employer can file for it.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X