Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1-B Premium Processing Timeline

Hello!

About to file L1-B petition with USCIS and will be Premium processing ... all the required forms, support docs, checks etc are ready to be sent.

I've looked at about a million different webpages and forums now and still don't understand a few things:

1. USCIS receive Petition - does Premium Processing start from the day they receive it? How long before "Case tracking number" is available?

2. USCIS approve or issue RFE - if approved, typically how long before the I-129 receipt numbers are issued? If RFE, do we have to wait for USCIS to mail everything back again or do we just have to send evidence?

3. Typically how long after USCIS approves the petition can I attend embassy for Visa interview, based on local embassy advertising 1 day wait-time for interview.

4. If CO approves Visa, they retain my passport for stamp processing and return it via courier within a week. Once Passport is returned, I can enter U.S. Would I still be able to book a "flexi" flight before the passport is returned and Visa # available? If passport not returned in time for the flight I can reschedule the flight at no extra cost.

Thanks
    Feepee

Originally posted by Feepee View Post
    Hello!

About to file L1-B petition with USCIS and will be Premium processing ... all the required forms, support docs, checks etc are ready to be sent.

I've looked at about a million different webpages and forums now and still don't understand a few things:

1. USCIS receive Petition - does Premium Processing start from the day they receive it? How long before "Case tracking number" is available?

2. USCIS approve or issue RFE - if approved, typically how long before the I-129 receipt numbers are issued? If RFE, do we have to wait for USCIS to mail everything back again or do we just have to send evidence?

3. Typically how long after USCIS approves the petition can I attend embassy for Visa interview, based on local embassy advertising 1 day wait-time for interview.

4. If CO approves Visa, they retain my passport for stamp processing and return it via courier within a week. Once Passport is returned, I can enter U.S. Would I still be able to book a "flexi" flight before the passport is returned and Visa # available? If passport not returned in time for the flight I can reschedule the flight at no extra cost.

Thanks
    Feepee
    1. Premium processing starts from the day they generate a receipt, which in most cases would be within a day or two after they receive it.
    2. Post decision, it can take a week or so to generate the approved I797, then probably another few weeks before you receive it in hand as it goes to the attorney/employer and they have to send it to you.If RFE , the premium processing clock stops, and you have to await for your employer/attorney to get the RFE notice in hand to determine what additional evidences they are looking for, based on that your employer, atorney and you can formulate a RFE response.
    3. As soon as you receive the approved petition(I797) in hand, you can schedule the finger print and visa interview using DS-160. This should typically take a week or so.
    4. Seeing the above factors, holidays in between, I would personally be wary of booking a ticket very close to a guesstimated time. I would say book tickets only after getting visa in hand.
    As for "flexi" flight check with the airline about the feasibility as Air tickets are generally charged extra at a "flexi" timeline.

This is my opinion not legal advice.
    Last edited by raghvi; 12-06-2014, 10:55 AM.

Comment

L1-B Premium Processing Timeline

Thanks for that info Raghvi, it certainly clears things up.

About the I797 being returned, my local US Embassy website explains the process and states:

"For temporary worker visa, the applicant must provide only their I-129 receipt numbers from USCIS. (NOTE: Applicants are no longer required to provide original I-797 forms or original I-129 petitions from USCIS since consular officers are required to verify petition approval in PIMS.)"

Do I still need to wait for a hardcopy of the I797 or can I just attend as it sounds like they will already have everything in PIMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Feepee View Post
        Thanks for that info Raghvi, it certainly clears things up.

About the I797 being returned, my local US Embassy website explains the process and states:

"For temporary worker visa, the applicant must provide only their I-129 receipt numbers from USCIS. (NOTE: Applicants are no longer required to provide original I-797 forms or original I-129 petitions from USCIS since consular officers are required to verify petition approval in PIMS.)"

Do I still need to wait for a hardcopy of the I797 or can I just attend as it sounds like they will already have everything in PIMS.
        I read conflicting statements on some US consulate website it says this is only for a H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, or J-1 visa : http://canberra.usembassy.gov/learn_...v_process.html

But yes, technically only receipt number is required provided you are absolutely sure the petition has been approved .

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

L1-B Premium Processing Timeline

I see what you mean. I just sent a email to the embassy asking for confirmation, I'll provide an update once I receive a response. Thanks again!

Comment

US Visa Service Desk response

"Please be advised that L1B applicants are required to bring at least a copy of their I-797 during their visa interview."

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X