Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1-B extension and H1 COS together

Hello friends,

I have a situation and I guess experts here can help me decide the best option available to me. So, here is my case.

I am working in the US with L1-B that will expire on 19-Jul-2015, same is the expiry for I-94.
    I shall complete my first 3 years with L1 on that date.
    My employer is ready to apply for L1 extension, but I have H1 in my mind. (I never applied/had a H1 before).

So, here are my questions.

L1-B extension related:

1) Can I continue to work for my L1 employer after 19-Jul, while my extension application is in processing? (Note that my I-94 expires at the same time as my visa).
    Is there an upper limit for this grace period or I am allowed to work until there is a decision made on my extension?
    2) Does it make sense to apply the extension at the last minute (say Jul first week) so that I can use the processing time to extend my stay and work?
    3) Can the extension be applied for the pending 2 years on L1 (thus, 5 years in total) together, or one year at a time? I heard people say 2 year extension is prone to rejections. Please suggest.

H1 from the same employer:

1) Can my current L1 employer process a H1 for me, in parallel to my L1 extension?
    2) If so, should it be considered as COS? Is there any way to decouple my current L1 and future H1?
    3) If COS, and my L1 extension is rejected, will my H1 automatically gets rejected?
    2) Say I got H1 approved first, but L1 extension rejected. Does that mean I can't work in the US until Oct 01, after which, I can work with H1? Is there a way to avoid break in work/travel in this case?

H1 from a different employer:

1) If a new employer (say ABC company) is filing my H1 on Apr 01, can this stand alone from my L1 (i.e., non-COS)? The idea is to work with my current employer until Oct 01 with my L1 extension, and switch to ABC on Oct 01.
    2) Can ABC file an H1 petition for me in parallel with my current employer's H1? In a case when both are approved, do I have the right to choose one that suits me?

Apologies if I had repeated already answered questions.
    Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X