X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 visa in Emergency Travel Document

Hi all,

The situation is as follows...

My family are on vacation in South Africa while my L1 undergoes an extension, not ideal I know, but it is what it is. While on vacation they were burgled and all their passports were stolen. My wife has a South African passport and my son a British passport. The SA passport can be replaced in time but the British one will take 10 weeks to replace a full version, this will be past the point of the return flights.

One option is to get an Emergency passport for my son (British) and have the visa put in here. A number of sources have said it would be possible, but I am having trouble pinning down a proper response.

IF it is possible there is an added question of what happens when the emergency passport expires, which would be 90 days from issue? I get conflicting information here, some are saying that it is fine, you just need to keep the emergency travel passport when you travel with the new one, to show the visa at port of entry. Some are saying we would need to leave the country again to reissue the visa.

So to reiterate...

1. Can we put an L2 visa in to an emergency travel document (emergency passport)?
    2. If we do, what happens when the emergency passport expires?

Thanks in advance

Mike

**** **** **** update **** **** ****

The US Consulate confirmed that we can put the visa in to the emergency travel document and the US Visa websites say that expired passports containing the visa are fine, so long as you have the new passport. So it is possible I have answered my own question :-)

Any information/confirmation on this would be appreciated still though...

Thanks,

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X