L1A visa with DWI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1A visa with DWI

I recently applied for L1A visa on 2-Feb-15.
    Just wanted to share my experience in this forum as I have received enormous inputs from this website.

I got my biometrics done in Mumbai the previous Friday. There is locker facility (Rs200/- for 2 hours) next to the VFS OFC in Trade Center, BKC, Mumbai. I deposited my mobile phone and car keys there and went inside. The process is very streamlined. I had appointment at 11.30AM. I was done by 11.25AM.

Chennai was not such good an experience. My appointment was at 11.00AM. I reached at 10.30AM but could enter the consulate only at 11.45AM. There is a small counter near the entrance, they provide locker facility for electronic items that you might be carrying. After getting my token once inside, stood in a queue for around 5 minutes to deposit the draft. VFS guys came and arranged my documents, bunched up and rolled with a rubber band.

After that it was a long wait. My token nunber flashed on the LCD at 1.00PM.

Went and stood in the queue in front of my counter. The applicant in front of me was also for L1A, he was rejected. There was one more applicant for L1A in the adjoining counter, came with his family. He was also rejected.

Then came my turn. Went up to the window, and the interview started.
    How long have I been with my employer?
    Which client will I work for?
    What is my US salary?
    What is my reporting hierarchy?
    Why did I return from US previously? ( I returned in 2009, still he asked)
    Why did I go to other countries in last 5 years?
    How long do I want to stay in US? To this, I said 6 months. So he said "Your petition says 3 years".
    I replied thats what my employer wants, not me. I have my family here. So he asked "They will not go with you?". I replied in the negative.

Then he said "We are done over here, just let me check a few more things" He checked my DS160 and then said "You had problems with Law Enforcement in 2007?". I had declared this, so I said "Yes, there was a DWI, class C misdemeanor"
    He asked "Do you have any papers with you?" I replied in the negative.
    He then took a long time doing something on his screen, for almost 5 minutes. Then handed me over the 221G saying "I need some more time to process your visa, I will keep your documents and put ylur application under Administrative Processing. It shouldn't take long"
    I asked "Days, weeks, months?"
    He smiled at me and said "For your case, shouldn't take long"

I left.

Four days later, I checked CEAC website and my visa status was changed from Administrative Processing to Issued.

Couple of words of advice
    1. You need not be dressed fancily in formals to prove yourself to be a manager. You need to be damn confident. I was in tshirt and cargo shorts. The two people who got L1A rejection were wearing suits in Chennai heat.

2. If you have any prior conviction in US, declare it and make sure you carry all relevant paper work. If you dont declare it, visa officer will not be able to verify it, and will approve your visa. But you might land in trouble during immigration, as they can see all your prior records. If caught, you will be charged with Visa Fraud, which is a very serious crime in US.
    Last edited by me_shaan; 02-07-2015, 10:20 AM.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X