L1B Amendment and Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1B Amendment and Extension

Hi, I'm currently on L1B visa expiring in Sep 2016. My I94 also reflects the same date. Because of a group change, my company applied for an amendment. During the amendment, the attorney's also filed for my extension and I539 for my dependents extension. Both the cases are approved in USCIS website and today I received the extension approval of the I539. The validity on the I797 form is from April 2015 to April 2017. I've couple of questions on this,

1. How do i get a new I94, Should i go out of the country, get my visa stamped again after Sep 2016 and come back or will i get a new I94 reflecting the new visa end date?
    2. Wan't the extension supposed to get applied from the existing expiration of Sep 2016 taking my approved stay to Sep 2018? If not, is there a way for me to recapture the ~18months that i'll miss.

Thank You

Spoke to the attorney and got clarified on both the questions.

Originally posted by chennaiL1B View Post
    Hi, I'm currently on L1B visa expiring in Sep 2016. My I94 also reflects the same date. Because of a group change, my company applied for an amendment. During the amendment, the attorney's also filed for my extension and I539 for my dependents extension. Both the cases are approved in USCIS website and today I received the extension approval of the I539. The validity on the I797 form is from April 2015 to April 2017. I've couple of questions on this,

1. How do i get a new I94, Should i go out of the country, get my visa stamped again after Sep 2016 and come back or will i get a new I94 reflecting the new visa end date?
    [update] The bottom portion of the approval notice (I-797) had a I94 stub that called out the new expiration date which is same as my visa expiration date.

2. Wasn't the extension supposed to get applied from the existing expiration of Sep 2016 taking my approved stay to Sep 2018? If not, is there a way for me to recapture the ~18months that i'll miss.
    [update] Given that i wouldn't have spent the allowed limit of 5yrs by April 2017, i can apply for another extension anytime after Oct-2016.
    Thank You
    Hope this helps someone

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X