Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L-1 violation, how to proceed?

Hi
    Unknowingly, my wife contributed to a book while in L-1B status, she signed a contract that pays her a small amount (<$500) in USD. The book is work outside of her employment.
    We only figured the issue of L-1 B employment *after* the book was published, we immediately contacted the publisher to put the payment on HOLD but she had already been paid an initial token signing amount. The publisher is not willing to take back this amount since its a violation of their copyright policies.
    The one option the publisher has suggested is that can they make the remaining payment to a trust or foundation that my wife is associated with, but they will still not take the initial payment back.

Reading through this forum it seems that she is in violation of L-1 legal laws, if so, what are the implications?
    Also, please suggest any mitigations we can take to resolve this matter?

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

please help!

would appreciate any thoughts or guidance on this.
    Thanks

Originally posted by visaindia View Post
    Hi
    Unknowingly, my wife contributed to a book while in L-1B status, she signed a contract that pays her a small amount (<$500) in USD. The book is work outside of her employment.
    We only figured the issue of L-1 B employment *after* the book was published, we immediately contacted the publisher to put the payment on HOLD but she had already been paid an initial token signing amount. The publisher is not willing to take back this amount since its a violation of their copyright policies.
    The one option the publisher has suggested is that can they make the remaining payment to a trust or foundation that my wife is associated with, but they will still not take the initial payment back.

Reading through this forum it seems that she is in violation of L-1 legal laws, if so, what are the implications?
    Also, please suggest any mitigations we can take to resolve this matter?

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Comment

I'm not sure there is anything she can do to undo it, she will just have to live with the consequences. Does she have an upcoming visa renewal/extension or adjustment of status application?

The "right thing to do" is to depart the United States and apply for a new visa at the consulate, answering yes to "Have you ever violated the terms of a U.S. visa, or been unlawfully present in, or deported from, the United States?" on DS-160, and explaining the situation to the consular officer.

Unauthorized employment does not automatically render aliens inadmissible.

She would then re-enter using her new L-1 visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X