Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of status from L1 to VWP?

Hi everyone,

I've found myself in quite the predicament. i have been working in the US under an L1b visa since Jan 2015. My visa (and i94) end on August 15th. It was being renewed, however due to the company becoming insolvent, this process has been cancelled (was never filed). this all occurred on July 31st. I will therefore be departing the US and am in the process of terminating my apartment lease, selling/shipping furniture back to the UK and ending my financial affairs here.

I do not believe that this can be fully completed by August 15th, but do not wish to overstay my i94.

Does anyone know what my options are to extend my stay past August 15th for say 15-30 days?

As a UK citizen I am eligible for the VWP. Is it possible to apply for a change of status, via form i539, this late and is it possible to change to the VWP, or would it have to be B1?
    If the answer is it is too late, if I were to leave the US for a day via say Mexico, am I likely to have any issues being readmitted under the VWP?

This is all very stressful and has occurred very suddenly. Due to the status of my former employer I am not receiving any assistance. If it is of any help, my agreement to transfer to the US under the L1 included the term that I would be given 3 months notice, however the company has honoured this commitment.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X