Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubt on Marriage being on L1

Hi everyone,
    I'm about to move to the US on an L1 Visa which my company is preparing for me.
    The problem I have is that I have to take my girlfriend with me, which even though we are a consolidated couple, we are not married yet.

My concern is if it's possible for us (me and my girlfriend) to get married inside the US, me being on L1 Visa and she being there visiting.

If it's not possible we will have to find another way, but if it is:

1. I can give her an L2 visa right?
    2. How much time does it take for her to get that?
    3. How much does it cost?

Thanks a lot for the help

Considering the seriousness and complication of your situation(marriage in US etc. ) , i suggest - take appointment with a qualifies Attorney. You can do that being in India. Google and figure out a qualified attorney. They will charge your $50/$100 for an hour depending upon their qualification .

Try putting your question on avvo.com -US based attorneys answers your questions but if you are as vague as your now - they will give a very generic answers like : "Your situation being complicated , it is advisable that you consult a qualified attorney"

1. I can give her an L2 visa right? --> if you are able to established that you are a married couple- you can give her L2 . But VO will certainly ask - why did you get married in US and now in your home country ???? Please dont try to BS Visa Officer . They see this everyday. And you getting married in US will certainly raise eyebrows. He will for sure suspect that you are trying to give someone entry into US with a work VISA by arranging a **** marriage!!! No matter how genuine your case is.
    Loads of people try to get into US by getting married to US citizen/Green Card holder or Valid VISA holder so i would not say - you are in a good zone with the situation that you are in.

2. How much time does it take for her to get that ? Once you are married- you can apply immediately .You will have to file in petition and she will have to appear for interview
    3. How much does it cost? - Check USCIS website . But it is not very costly. Under $500, not sure .

*This is my opinion on the situation and not a legal advise. I am not in Legal profession

Originally posted by rulo View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm about to move to the US on an L1 Visa which my company is preparing for me.
    The problem I have is that I have to take my girlfriend with me, which even though we are a consolidated couple, we are not married yet.

My concern is if it's possible for us (me and my girlfriend) to get married inside the US, me being on L1 Visa and she being there visiting.

If it's not possible we will have to find another way, but if it is:

1. I can give her an L2 visa right?
    2. How much time does it take for her to get that?
    3. How much does it cost?

Thanks a lot for the help
    Last edited by abmi; 10-24-2015, 11:31 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X