Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layoff on L1 visa

Hi,

I am currently in the US on an L1a visa sponsored by the company i work for. However, we are going through a massive re-structuring and there will be many layoffs in the near future; I see the writing on the wall.

My intention, should I get laid off, is to go back home to Australia, so leaving the country will not be an issue; however, I see us needing at the very least a 2 to 3 months before being able to depart for good, which is what worries me at this time.

1. What is the best way to approach this situation in order to avoid any "illegality" in the US?

2. I read somewhere that lodging a 539 status change application will give me the additional time I need, even if the request is denied, because in theory, the time i need will be less than the processing time for the 539 request. Is this true?

3. Is it possible to convert our L1 visa into a visa waiver to cover the period of time between ending employment and leaving the country?

Thanks in advance.

MR

I guess you carry an Australian passport?

If so, Yes, you can apply for VWP & stay here for 2-3 months.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
      I guess you carry an Australian passport?

If so, Yes, you can apply for VWP & stay here for 2-3 months.
      Thanks Libra. what would be the "process" to apply for the VWP?
      Cheers,

Comment

Sorry I cannot help here. Let other knowledgeable person respond.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X