Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 Visa Application - Entering US beforehand on honeymoon

Hi guys,

My employer is about to put through an application for an L1 visa.
    Intended start date is 24th October.

However, i will go on my honeymoon from 1st August until 2nd October. 9 weeks in total.
    As a part of that 9 weeks, i will be spending 1 week in NYC, in late September.

Now, i want to go for visa interviews before the honeymoon, so the company can start to ship things over if i'm approved.
    However, because i will be there for my honeymoon before my work starting date, will that be a problem?

1. Can i enter the US as a tourist if i have an L1 visa application pending? Should be easy to prove its a honeymoon (hotels, plane, photos etc).
    2. How long does it usually take to approve? If i have interviews in July, could i be approved before i start my honeymoon on 1st August?
    3. If i am approved, will holding a L1 Visa and entering for my honeymoon be a problem?

Thanks guys, it is hard to get this kind of information, seems like a unique situation!

As a note, i read somewhere that, obviously, you can only enter the US on one status.
    So in my case, it would be either L1B (if i am approved) or ESTA (visa waiver).

As L1B is only valid from within 10 days of work starting date, I am assuming i can choose to enter with ESTA for the honeymoon, then come back for the long haul with L1B closer to my work start date.
    Is this assumption correct?

Comment

Originally posted by nkim View Post
      As a note, i read somewhere that, obviously, you can only enter the US on one status.
      So in my case, it would be either L1B (if i am approved) or ESTA (visa waiver).

As L1B is only valid from within 10 days of work starting date, I am assuming i can choose to enter with ESTA for the honeymoon, then come back for the long haul with L1B closer to my work start date.
      Is this assumption correct?
      Thats correct, it is advisable to use proper visa for every visit. Since you have ESTA, use ESTA for honeymoon & visa for your job.

If you use your L1 visa for honeymoon, it may create problem later showing you were unpaid for initial period of your stay.
      - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X