Laid Off under L1B visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laid Off under L1B visa

I have an L1B visa in the USA. I was laid off from my job and ceased getting paid 30 days ago. My visa stamp and I94 both expire in November. From what I gather, I am currently in a period of authorized stay but out of status. This means I can't apply for a change of status to a different visa (such as a B2 visitor visa, or a H1B work visa).

How much longer can I stay without being questioned too much on my next entry? What kind of questions will I get asked on my next entry, assuming my next entry is on VWP?

Originally posted by etphonehome View Post
    I have an L1B visa in the USA. I was laid off from my job and ceased getting paid 30 days ago. My visa stamp and I94 both expire in November. From what I gather, I am currently in a period of authorized stay but out of status. This means I can't apply for a change of status to a different visa (such as a B2 visitor visa, or a H1B work visa).

How much longer can I stay without being questioned too much on my next entry? What kind of questions will I get asked on my next entry, assuming my next entry is on VWP?
    The earliest the better. I believe 30 days itself is stretching it far.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

OK. Sounds good.

Are there any restrictions with how long I have to spend out of the US before re-entering with either VWP or B2?

Comment

Originally posted by etphonehome View Post
        OK. Sounds good.

Are there any restrictions with how long I have to spend out of the US before re-entering with either VWP or B2?
        What would be the purpose of re entering US?

Comment

The purposes would be to visit friends.

I have already made a job application to a university which is likely to result in a job offer starting in September - that would mean I would need to change status onto a H1B visa if the job is approved.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X