Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finance on L1 can I apply for L2 later on after wedding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finance on L1 can I apply for L2 later on after wedding?

Hello everyone,

I am new and completely overwhelmed at finally finding this website! Anyway let me go on ..

My fiancé's current company are US founded firm and have offices in Houston, Texas. He works for their Qatar office and we both live here (we are both British.) Two weeks ago completely out the blue they approached him asking him to move to Houston for 10-18 months to work on a project for a client only he has worked for previously. After negotiating contract etc they have now started applying for L1 Managerial visa and aim to have him there for the start of project in October 2016.

Here's my question - we have been engaged to marry for a short while now (total relationship has been just under 2 years) and planning to marry around Winter 2016. By this point we will have been in the US for several months in which I will most likely be on a Tourist visa. If we return home to marry in the UK what is the deal with the application of an L2 spouse visa? Does his company apply for it? Do we apply for it? Can I apply for it in the states on a tourist visa?? Or Is it better for us to get married before the move in October???

I keep hearing horror stories of people being rejected (especially when they apply in countries they are not from) and not being allowed into the states for years because of that. We want to do this completely right.

Thank you so much for your help.

Originally posted by jemmlove12 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am new and completely overwhelmed at finally finding this website! Anyway let me go on ..

My fiancé's current company are US founded firm and have offices in Houston, Texas. He works for their Qatar office and we both live here (we are both British.) Two weeks ago completely out the blue they approached him asking him to move to Houston for 10-18 months to work on a project for a client only he has worked for previously. After negotiating contract etc they have now started applying for L1 Managerial visa and aim to have him there for the start of project in October 2016.

Here's my question - we have been engaged to marry for a short while now (total relationship has been just under 2 years) and planning to marry around Winter 2016. By this point we will have been in the US for several months in which I will most likely be on a Tourist visa. If we return home to marry in the UK what is the deal with the application of an L2 spouse visa? Does his company apply for it? Do we apply for it? Can I apply for it in the states on a tourist visa?? Or Is it better for us to get married before the move in October???

I keep hearing horror stories of people being rejected (especially when they apply in countries they are not from) and not being allowed into the states for years because of that. We want to do this completely right.

Thank you so much for your help.
    Do you already have a tourist visa or are you going to apply for one? Ideal thing to do is to marry outside US and enter on a L2 visa.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      Do you already have a tourist visa or are you going to apply for one? Ideal thing to do is to marry outside US and enter on a L2 visa.

Hi!

Thank you for answering,

I have a B1/B2 visa that I got in 2014 valid for 10 years. I will be in states for about 5 months before we return home to marry. My best option is to apply for my l2 even though my husband will be back in states, whilst I am still in UK? I thought this would be the case...

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by jemmlove12 View Post
        Hi!

Thank you for answering,

I have a B1/B2 visa that I got in 2014 valid for 10 years. I will be in states for about 5 months before we return home to marry. My best option is to apply for my l2 even though my husband will be back in states, whilst I am still in UK? I thought this would be the case...

Thank you
        Yes. Just have a back up plan ready just in case they do not allow 5 Months of B1/B2 stay.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X