Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on change of DateOfBirth in passport after visa issued

Hello,

I was issued a US L1B visa last week valid for 3 years. I have dependent L2 visa for my spouse and kid as well. My passport was taken last year and is valid for next 9 years.

I have a problem with my date of birth. My date of birth in my birth certificate (original) does not match with other documents such as passport, PAN card, 10th Markscard, and other ID proofs.

It is like birth certificate date is 06 oct 1982, but the one in passport and all other documents is 22 feb 1983. This is a problem since schooldays as in my native when joining school, teachers forcefully made my parents change my DOB date to 22 feb 1983 in school records for some reason. When my parents applied passport for me, they used the same in my school certificate. So now, all my ID proofs has wrong date of birth and birth certificate has correct one.

I never had to use my birth certificate in India till date, so it was never a problem for me till date.

Now the questions are
    1. I will have to travel to US in next 1.5 months. Do i need birth certificate to apply for SSN, green card etc there?
    2. If birth certificate (BC) is needed, since there is a discrepancy in my BC and passport, do i need to reapply for a passport to get DOB corrected in the same?
    3. If reapplying for passport , current passport will get canceled and new one will be issues. But in that case what will happen to my visa?
    4. Can i carry new passport with corrected DOB and the old passport which has visa or should visa also be reapplied?
    5. What about DOB correction in marriage certificate, DL, 10th certificate, other ID proofs etc?

I am worried, as I do not have much time to fix all these.

Please advise. Really appreciate your response.

Originally posted by #danie# View Post
    Hello,

I was issued a US L1B visa last week valid for 3 years. I have dependent L2 visa for my spouse and kid as well. My passport was taken last year and is valid for next 9 years.

I have a problem with my date of birth. My date of birth in my birth certificate (original) does not match with other documents such as passport, PAN card, 10th Markscard, and other ID proofs.

It is like birth certificate date is 06 oct 1982, but the one in passport and all other documents is 22 feb 1983. This is a problem since schooldays as in my native when joining school, teachers forcefully made my parents change my DOB date to 22 feb 1983 in school records for some reason. When my parents applied passport for me, they used the same in my school certificate. So now, all my ID proofs has wrong date of birth and birth certificate has correct one.

I never had to use my birth certificate in India till date, so it was never a problem for me till date.

Now the questions are
    1. I will have to travel to US in next 1.5 months. Do i need birth certificate to apply for SSN, green card etc there?
    2. If birth certificate (BC) is needed, since there is a discrepancy in my BC and passport, do i need to reapply for a passport to get DOB corrected in the same?
    3. If reapplying for passport , current passport will get canceled and new one will be issues. But in that case what will happen to my visa?
    4. Can i carry new passport with corrected DOB and the old passport which has visa or should visa also be reapplied?
    5. What about DOB correction in marriage certificate, DL, 10th certificate, other ID proofs etc?

I am worried, as I do not have much time to fix all these.

Please advise. Really appreciate your response.
    1. For SSN no, but for GC yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Visa will still be valid.You will have to carry old and new passport.
    4. Yes.
    5. All will have to be changed.But you have time unless the employer is filing GC for you as soon as you land in US.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

hello raghvi,

thanks for responding. but since DOB is also printed on VISA, on change of DOB in passport, will it require a new VISA with corrected DOB?
      Or only I-94 should have the correct DOB printed? Will it be a problem after I travel to US?

Thanks.

Comment

Any update

hello,

Can you share you experience about this ? how did it go ?

Thanks.

Comment

raghvi please share your experience

hello raghvi,

thanks for responding. but since DOB is also printed on VISA, on change of DOB in passport, will it require a new VISA with corrected DOB?
          Or only I-94 should have the correct DOB printed? Will it be a problem after I travel to US?

Thanks.
          hello,

Can you share what actions you took, I am also facing same issue?
          Do I need to change DOB in VISA also after changing DOB in passport and how?

Thanks.

Comment

hello raghvi,

Thanks.
            Is it possible to update DOB in the existing valid Visa based on new dob corrected passport. if so please let me know the procedure to update DOB in Visa.

Comment

Please someone tell me whether possible to update DOB in the existing valid visa. If so please let me know the procedure.

Comment

Hello #danie# or Raghvi or someone , can you please update if whether possible to update DOB in the existing valid visa once Passport is updated? what would be the process ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X