Visa application under L1A Blanket Petition approved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa application under L1A Blanket Petition approved

This forum was really helped me prepare for the visa interview and I thought I'd share my experience with prospective applicants. My interview was scheduled on the 10th of Feb, 2017 at the Chennai consulate and I appeared along with my wife and two kids for the interview.

Pre-interview:
    We had to visit the Visa Application Center the day before (no slots available for the same day as interview) for photographs and ten-printing (aka biometrics, essentially the ten prints from your fingers). It was collected for my wife and me but not for the kids (3-years old). One advise - always carry a printed photo of your kids (esp. if they're as young as mine were) as per visa specifications since it sometimes becomes difficult to make them stand straight and get a perfect shot. We tried doing it with my kids but the lady at the counter wasn't able to do it properly, so we finally gave them the printed photo which she held in front of the camera to take a digital snap. In case you don't have a photograph, the lady mentioned you have the option of getting one done before your consulate visa interview. The consulate employees will then take the photo and put the digital version on the file on the day of the interview.

Interview:
    If you're traveling with young kids (or elderly people), you'll be allowed to skip the queue and go directly to the various counters/sections. Here's the sequence of events:

- Once you enter the consulate, a couple of guys will help you with arranging the documents. Just give everything to them and they will do it all, they are experts at doing this. They will also give you directions (and eventually cross-check) on how to arrange the documents into the 3 sets, so listen in closely

- At the next counter, I was asked to show the receipt for the USD 500 anti-fraud fee which needs to be paid for L1A applications. The most used option is that of a demand draft which should be in favor of "American Embassy", in Indian Rupees based on the current consular exchange rate from any nationalized bank in India (drafts from co-operative banks are not accepted). You also have the option of paying using cash or credit cards. I mentioned to the lady at the counter that I'd like to pay using my credit card and she took my card to process the payment and give me a receipt.

- The next counter is for checking your application and verifying your biometrics and photos that were provided at the VAC the day before (in my case). They will ask you to place your fingers on the scanner to verify your fingerprints.

- The final counter is where the visa interview happens. Again, for families and elderly applicants there's a separate set of counters which you'll be directed to. Here are the questions asked and answers given:

1. Good morning, may I have your applications?
    A. Good morning, here you go.

2. How long have you been working at this company?
    A: This is my 10th year.

3. And how many of those have been as a people manager?
    A: All of them.

4. (To my wife) How long have you been married?
    A. Answered.

5. (Back to me) Will you be working at a company or client site?
    A. Company.

6. What will be your designation?
    A. Senior Manager, <team name>, <group name>

7. How many people will be reporting to you in this role?
    A. X, of which Y would be contractors and the rest full-time employees.

8. Who would you be reporting to?
    A. A senior director in the organization, who in turn reports to the vice-president of the group.

9. Could you explain what your role would be and what your team does?
    A. Answered in 2 sentences.

10. Will you be working hands-on in any of these areas (taking cue from my answer above)?
    A. No, there'll be developers in the team.

Thank you, your visa is approved.

TIPS:
    - Be confident about what you say. If you don't know, don't second-guess an answer.
    - Be short and to-the-point with your replies. Give more details only if asked.
    - It's okay to be nervous (I was sweating a lot but never tried to wipe the sweat off my forehead), let the nervous energy show in your responses

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X