Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1-A - Running a business in your home country

Hi all,

I've been looking through the threads for a specific answer to a question but still not coming back with anything clear - if there's a thread with my question answered, could you redirect me?

The Question:

I'm on an L1-A visa and in my 4th year. My company won't sponsor a Green Card until the end of the 5th year but they're literally milking me for every hour of work they can get out of me - I average around 60-70 hours per week with no overtime or compensation.

Am I able to build my business back in my home country (Australia) while on the L1-A?

I know that I can't earn money from any other employer in the Unites States but what about in my country of residency?

I'm sure that people would have taken L1-A's while having a business back at home - do they just abandon it when moving? I can't imagine that's the case.

Thanks all

T

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Timbothebimbo View Post
      Hi all,

I've been looking through the threads for a specific answer to a question but still not coming back with anything clear - if there's a thread with my question answered, could you redirect me?

The Question:

I'm on an L1-A visa and in my 4th year. My company won't sponsor a Green Card until the end of the 5th year but they're literally milking me for every hour of work they can get out of me - I average around 60-70 hours per week with no overtime or compensation.

Am I able to build my business back in my home country (Australia) while on the L1-A?

I know that I can't earn money from any other employer in the Unites States but what about in my country of residency?

I'm sure that people would have taken L1-A's while having a business back at home - do they just abandon it when moving? I can't imagine that's the case.

Thanks all

T

There are two aspects to this. One, whether it hinders you ability to do work for your current employer. It is not allowed to work for another employer/or as self employment which takes away time off yours for doing your day to work. This is the reason why one is not allowed to do so while on L1.

Second aspect is taxation. If you are resident of US, you are taxed by IRS for your global income and not only the one related to your employment.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Work is work, even if you are working here for an offshore entity or customer

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
          There are two aspects to this. One, whether it hinders you ability to do work for your current employer. It is not allowed to work for another employer/or as self employment which takes away time off yours for doing your day to work. This is the reason why one is not allowed to do so while on L1.

Second aspect is taxation. If you are resident of US, you are taxed by IRS for your global income and not only the one related to your employment.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Thanks for the feedback - appreciated

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X