Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSN got with a former visa

Hello all
    I have a quick question related to SSN and visa.
    Ten years ago I worked in the US with a J-1 visa. At that time I got a SSN that I kept first as a souvenir... but actually I'll have to move to the US and ask for a L1 visa as I will work in my company offices in Boston, MA in a few months. I wonder then if my SSN will be used not only as a souvenir anymore ;-)
    My question is: should I ask for a new SSN or not ? Should I do some administrative actions with my SSN once I arrive in the US?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Camou06

I want to know too.
    Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by camou06 View Post
      Hello all
      Ten years ago I worked in the US with a J-1 visa. At that time I got a SSN that I kept first as a souvenir... but actually I'll have to move to the US and ask for a L1 visa as I will work in my company offices in Boston, MA in a few months. I wonder then if my SSN will be used not only as a souvenir anymore ;-)
      My question is: should I ask for a new SSN or not ? Should I do some administrative actions with my SSN once I arrive in the US?

Camou06
      The Social Security Number is yours for life. You cannot get another number. You will be using that number in any place that asks for an SSN.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks a lot

Comment

Yes

This was exactly me , but my SSN was more like 20 years But yes you use it.

Life is alot easier when you have this ready to go, from being enrolled in your payroll, your bank account, your driving license and no long lines at the SS Office. You need the actual card so keep it safe.

Comment

Originally posted by camou06 View Post
            Hello all

Camou06

This was exactly me but mine was more like 20 years old. You keep the same card/number ( and history , hopefully you behaves last time

It will make your move much easier, from signing on to payroll, getting a rental place, employee validation your company needs to do, bank accounts, driving license etc etc etc. You need the actual card for all these things so keep it safe. best of all no long lines at the social security office

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X