Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 to L1 Blanket conversion

Hello,

Firstly, I wanted to say that this site is very helpful and informative with respect to all the immigration questions. Thank you Immihelp.

I am currently on L2 visa(my spouse has L1 visa) and applied for EAD which is yet to be approved and might take on an average of 90(less or more) days for approval.

Meanwhile, my parent company has agreed to file L1 Blanket petition, which might take around 3 to 4 weeks.

Questions:
    --------------
    1. Once my L1 petition is filed, do I need to go to my country, and attend the visa interview for L1 visa, or can I apply for change of status being in US itself ?

2. If I get L1 visa, then what would happen to EAD application, which I applied when I was on L2 visa?

Expecting some suggestions/inputs on above questions.

Thank you!!!

Originally posted by srk_usa View Post
    Hello,

Firstly, I wanted to say that this site is very helpful and informative with respect to all the immigration questions. Thank you Immihelp.

I am currently on L2 visa(my spouse has L1 visa) and applied for EAD which is yet to be approved and might take on an average of 90(less or more) days for approval.

Meanwhile, my parent company has agreed to file L1 Blanket petition, which might take around 3 to 4 weeks.

Questions:
    --------------
    1. Once my L1 petition is filed, do I need to go to my country, and attend the visa interview for L1 visa, or can I apply for change of status being in US itself ?

2. If I get L1 visa, then what would happen to EAD application, which I applied when I was on L2 visa?

Thank you!!!
    1. It depends if the COS from L2 to L1 is approved with new I-94 or not.
    2. Your EAD is tied to your L2 visa and L2 status. If you are not in L2 status you can still possess an EAD but cannot use your EAD to work.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Hello,

Questions:
      --------------

Thank you!!!
      Depends on how you want to process your L1 visa. If you want a faster processing you can do it in Canada and have it in few weeks. The L1 change of status in US is taking 3-4 months, not sure how you get 3-4 weeks. It is the same time for a visa extension or renewal. There is a premium processing fee.

Even if they process your EAD, as soon as you get an L1 visa your L2 visa will no longer be valid. It is gone. So you will never use it. As for your family, they must decide if they will be under your L1 or your wife`s L1. They can only have one. I know for sure - I am in the same situation as you with 2 L1 visas in the family.

Comment

Hello,

Questions:
        --------------

Thank you!!!

I had this situation. I traveled to the US to validate my L2 and get an I94 sent my EAD request and went back to the UK. In that time my company decided to file my application. My instruction was ignore the EAD, dont activate it use it. They then submitted under their blanket petition all whilst in the UK. In the meantime my EAD had been issued (65 days). I attended the interview in London for my L1 once the paperwork had been completed and no problems. Visa issued, EAD not even referenced. My L2 was CWOP.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X