Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 Renewal Interview in Canada

Hello,
    I am planning to go for my L1 renewal (due Dec 2017) in Canada. I am going there with my wife and 3 yr old daughter. I have following questions...
    1. As a third country case.. what questions they may ask (related to choice of location of interview) ?
    2. Although I was looking for a October appointment @ Vancouver, I got Dec 1st week in Ottawa. Is there a possibility I may get more favorable dates in next few weeks? (Any tips for the same?)
    3. Any tips for interview/stay/misc @ Ottawa? Is it a good option to schedule a pickup @ Toronto?
    Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by tuachotu View Post
    Hello,
    I am planning to go for my L1 renewal (due Dec 2017) in Canada. I am going there with my wife and 3 yr old daughter. I have following questions...
    1. As a third country case.. what questions they may ask (related to choice of location of interview) ?
    2. Although I was looking for a October appointment @ Vancouver, I got Dec 1st week in Ottawa. Is there a possibility I may get more favorable dates in next few weeks? (Any tips for the same?)
    3. Any tips for interview/stay/misc @ Ottawa? Is it a good option to schedule a pickup @ Toronto?
    Thanks in advance.
    I did my L1 in Ottawa in December. It was great. Nice interview, usual questions: your job, role, how long, and so on. If you wife has EAD, same questions. It is very common to have people from overseas renewing visa in Canada due to shorter processing times. When entering Canada I told them the reason was visa and they asked for my appointment letter. Check if you need a visa to enter Canada.

I picked a hotel in downtown so we could walk to the Embassy - besides there are several restaurants, markets, stores, mall...all you need and the Beaver Tail!!! It was like 3 blocks or less and there are thousands options in such distance. We decided to pick up the passport in Ottawa so we could walk to the Post office and reduce time - another city means more processing. You will have to wait few days so you have time to visit a lot of Canadian cities, walk around Ottawa, visit the Parliament with the tour, and if lucky, Ice Skating in the Canal. We enjoyed the city as much we could in these days...my interview was on Thursday and I had my passport back on Tuesday morning so I checked out before noon. This was a little faster than average - be prepared for an extra day. If you can drive, even better - remember that flexibility is key. You will have no passport.

When returning, you do your immigration and leave one of your I-129. If by car, you will pay 6 bucks for the I-94. By plane, this is included in the airport fares.

I know several colleagues that renewed visas in Canada and all had great experience. And take the time to see the country. It is very nice. I made plans to return only for tourism. It will be cold in December but you can enjoy the winter sports.

I am not sure how to get an earlier date. I had to wait 5 weeks. Some people are able to get an appointment in like, 2 weeks or so...you can try...after summer they open all the agenda. During summer it is only for Canadians and Americans. I am OK as I like winter...

Comment

Originally posted by sasvi View Post
      I did my L1 in Ottawa in December. It was great. Nice interview, usual questions: your job, role, how long, and so on. If you wife has EAD, same questions. It is very common to have people from overseas renewing visa in Canada due to shorter processing times. When entering Canada I told them the reason was visa and they asked for my appointment letter. Check if you need a visa to enter Canada.

I picked a hotel in downtown so we could walk to the Embassy - besides there are several restaurants, markets, stores, mall...all you need and the Beaver Tail!!! It was like 3 blocks or less and there are thousands options in such distance. We decided to pick up the passport in Ottawa so we could walk to the Post office and reduce time - another city means more processing. You will have to wait few days so you have time to visit a lot of Canadian cities, walk around Ottawa, visit the Parliament with the tour, and if lucky, Ice Skating in the Canal. We enjoyed the city as much we could in these days...my interview was on Thursday and I had my passport back on Tuesday morning so I checked out before noon. This was a little faster than average - be prepared for an extra day. If you can drive, even better - remember that flexibility is key. You will have no passport.

When returning, you do your immigration and leave one of your I-129. If by car, you will pay 6 bucks for the I-94. By plane, this is included in the airport fares.

I know several colleagues that renewed visas in Canada and all had great experience. And take the time to see the country. It is very nice. I made plans to return only for tourism. It will be cold in December but you can enjoy the winter sports.

I am not sure how to get an earlier date. I had to wait 5 weeks. Some people are able to get an appointment in like, 2 weeks or so...you can try...after summer they open all the agenda. During summer it is only for Canadians and Americans. I am OK as I like winter...
      Thanks for your reply. I got an appointment for Vancouver and going there early November.
      Best Regards.

Comment

To tuachotu

Did you get the L-1 renewal? I have the same situation, so I'm worry whether to go back my home country or travel to Canada to get the renewal. Could you please give me some tips to prepare?
        One more question, the status expiration of L-1b is based on I-94 or PED/I-129s expiration, do you know about this?

Comment

L1A Visa Renewal

Originally posted by sasvi View Post

Hi,

I had some queries regarding L1A visa renewal via US consulate at Canada
          Though I have heard that the rejection ratio is very low still I wanted to know what is the scenario incase say my renewal gets rejected.
          My current visa expires on 11 Dec 2018, in case of a denial of extension petition will I be able to re enter US and stay till my current visa expiration date.
          Or I need to directly go back to my home country directly from Canada?
          I am planning to schedule interview at Canada embassy no less than 8 weeks from my current visa expiry date.
          Any advises will be highly appreciated

Thank,
          Shankha

Comment

Vancouver Appointments

Hi

I am waiting for my company to file in papers before I book an appointment?
            Do I need any details (Eg "Petition number" ) to file the DS-160 or can I go ahead and book an appointment right away.

Also the US website shows just 2 weeks wait time for Vancouver for non-immigrant visas. I am assuming these are for canadian residents/ citizens and not others.

Any advice is much appreaciated

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X