• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job switch on L1B Visa

I currently hold L1-B visa and am currently in US

Can I switch job while on L1B visa ?

If so, do I need to get EAD ?

Or, would I need to have H1 visa ? Or can I change my visa from L1-B to H1 ?

Please advise

Originally posted by USAIN View Post

Please advise
    You can work only for current employer while on their L1. In order to switch employer you need either an H1 or an EAD. For getting an EAD you need to be on H4 (dependent of H1 spouse having an approved I-140) or on L2 (dependent of L1 spouse). You can also potentially look at trying to move to F1 by taking a college admission and exploring OPT/CPT options.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by USAIN View Post

Please advise
      You cannot change jobs while on L1B. You can try to get an H1 visa next year, in April, to start to work in October 2018, or you can get any other visa such as L2, H4, F1 (with limitations)....after getting a new visa you can ask for an EAD...the EAD will take 120 days to be issued and you cannot work while waiting for it.

Basically you are tied to your current employer...like it or not, they are your sponsor.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X