Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1A and Car Sharing/Rental (Turo)

Hello,

I am on L1A visa and recently I was informed by a friend about a car sharing app (Turo) wherein one can rent out a personal car to guests via the app. The app then pays the Host (me/car owner) for the number of days the car was rented out for.

At the end of the calendar year, Turo will send a Form 1099 with the income earned by the Host.

I wanted to know whether this is legal. I wont be working anywhere else just that my car will be used to earn additional income. This wont nearly be a high income amount a.k.a "salary" types.

I saw a similar thread for L1A and being a Uber driver (but in that case the L1A individual was driving their car). In my case, this is slightly different. I checked with my Tax Consultant - he didnt have an issue with filing tax returns using this additional income but asked to check for legal issues with immigration.

Any help or guidance is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by arajesh19 View Post
    Hello,

I am on L1A visa and recently I was informed by a friend about a car sharing app (Turo) wherein one can rent out a personal car to guests via the app. The app then pays the Host (me/car owner) for the number of days the car was rented out for.

At the end of the calendar year, Turo will send a Form 1099 with the income earned by the Host.

I wanted to know whether this is legal. I wont be working anywhere else just that my car will be used to earn additional income. This wont nearly be a high income amount a.k.a "salary" types.

I saw a similar thread for L1A and being a Uber driver (but in that case the L1A individual was driving their car). In my case, this is slightly different. I checked with my Tax Consultant - he didnt have an issue with filing tax returns using this additional income but asked to check for legal issues with immigration.

Any help or guidance is highly appreciated.

Thanks
    As long as "you" are not "working" its fine.

You can own multiple houses/car & rent it out.

Just ensure you show that in your IT return.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Hello,
      I am in a similar situation. I am on L1A and rented my car last year through Turo. I am not sure how should I report the income? And if it is illegal to have income like this? Has anyone done this before?

Comment

As long as "you" are not "working" - you are fine. Consider your car as your stock option, you put that money in stocks & getting return from that.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X