Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 Visa - Too much proceesing time for I-539

Hi Guys,

I am currently on L2 visa. It is going to expire in Mar 2018. I applied for I-94 extn (I-539) for me and my daughter in Dec 2017, still waiting for an update.
    My wife's L1 visa is unitl Nov 2019. Checked in the USCIS website, they are processing I-539 applications for Apr 2017 now. As it is going to be too much delay I am planning to go to India in first week of Apr and get stamped at Chennai Consulate.

My question is can I go alone and get my stamping done? whether my daughter's I-539 application will still be processed?

Please help

Thanks
    Hari

Originally posted by hbrk View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am currently on L2 visa. It is going to expire in Mar 2018. I applied for I-94 extn (I-539) for me and my daughter in Dec 2017, still waiting for an update.
    My wife's L1 visa is unitl Nov 2019. Checked in the USCIS website, they are processing I-539 applications for Apr 2017 now. As it is going to be too much delay I am planning to go to India in first week of Apr and get stamped at Chennai Consulate.

My question is can I go alone and get my stamping done? whether my daughter's I-539 application will still be processed?

Please help

Thanks
    Hari
    Why does it matter how much processing time it takes? You can stay in the US for as long as the application is pending, even if you go out of status, even if it takes years.

If you are going to India, then why bother apply for Extension of Status. Leaving the US abandons the application and it would be wasted. The point of Extension of Status is to extend status without leaving the US. If you leave the US and re-enter you are always going to be re-admitted to a new status based on your visa.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      Why does it matter how much processing time it takes? You can stay in the US for as long as the application is pending, even if you go out of status, even if it takes years.

If you are going to India, then why bother apply for Extension of Status. Leaving the US abandons the application and it would be wasted. The point of Extension of Status is to extend status without leaving the US. If you leave the US and re-enter you are always going to be re-admitted to a new status based on your visa.
      Hi newacct,

Thanks for your reply.
      I applied for my EAD extension also in Feb 2018. My L2 EAD won't get approved until my I-539 is approved right? I can't work until my EAD gets approved.
      Please advice.

Regards,
      Hari Babu

Comment

Same situation

Originally posted by hbrk View Post
        Hi newacct,

Thanks for your reply.
        I applied for my EAD extension also in Feb 2018. My L2 EAD won't get approved until my I-539 is approved right? I can't work until my EAD gets approved.
        Please advice.

Regards,
        Hari Babu
        Could you please let me know if you got your I-539 approved and how many days it took. Thank you

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X