Can I have both L1 and L2 VISAs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I have both L1 and L2 VISAs?

I am holding L1B VISA and my fianc? is also holding L1B VISA. We are getting married soon. I would like to get L2 VISA stamped after the marriage so that I can quit my job at any time and I can stay in the U.S. without any issues. Is it possible to hold both L1 and L2 VISAs at the same time? Has anyone done so before? Advice needed. Thanks.

Originally posted by yonarcissus View Post
    I am holding L1B VISA and my fianc? is also holding L1B VISA. We are getting married soon. I would like to get L2 VISA stamped after the marriage so that I can quit my job at any time and I can stay in the U.S. without any issues. Is it possible to hold both L1 and L2 VISAs at the same time? Has anyone done so before? Advice needed. Thanks.
    Yes you can have multiple visas at the same time, but you should make sure that the visa type used by the CBP officer during entry is the visa type you indeed want to use.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by yonarcissus View Post
      Nope...you cannot do that.

I know from personal experience as we were in the same situation - wife and husband with L1 visas. When arrived in USA, wife had L2 but soon got own L1. When applying for L1, the consul cancelled the L2 and said that you cannot hold 2 L visas. If I wanted to work in a different company, I had to change to L2 and they will cancel the L1. If working with the current company, under the current petition, had to keep the L1. You can have a B1/B2 and L and several other combinations but not 2 L...

So, if you want to change jobs, you will have to plan carefully to get a L2 and to apply for EAD. You can work in the same company or in a new one with the EAD. However, the ideal situation is to maintain both L1 since you do not know who will sponsor you in the future for a GC if that is your plan.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X