Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freelance/unpaid work on an L1(B) ? any circumstances it's permitted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freelance/unpaid work on an L1(B) ? any circumstances it's permitted?

Dear immihelp community,

I'm aware that paid work of any kind is illegal on an L1. However, I have a few questions around the topic with a bit of nuance.

Would it be permissible:

1 - To submit freelance writing to papers/online sites that frequently accept unpaid/guest contributions?

2 - To submit freelance writing to papers/online sites that are 501c(3) organisations?

3 - To write articles *for free* on a personal site and have them syndicated elsewhere? (Again, unpaid).

4 - To submit: a) UNPAID work for papers/sites/corporations in another country; b) PAID work for papers/sites/corporations in another country.

I fully understand there are no circumstances in which paid work in the US for anyone other than the L1 employer would be acceptable. All of the above situations apart from the second half of the fourth assume no compensation ? and that is only for work submitted abroad.

I've read that volunteer work (e.g. soup **** *** type of thing) is allowed, so I'm curious to know if there are circumstances when submitting work in the US is permitted at all ? and if paid work abroad would ever be allowed.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by jc636 View Post
    Dear immihelp community,

I'm aware that paid work of any kind is illegal on an L1. However, I have a few questions around the topic with a bit of nuance.

Would it be permissible:

1 - To submit freelance writing to papers/online sites that frequently accept unpaid/guest contributions?

2 - To submit freelance writing to papers/online sites that are 501c(3) organisations?

3 - To write articles *for free* on a personal site and have them syndicated elsewhere? (Again, unpaid).

4 - To submit: a) UNPAID work for papers/sites/corporations in another country; b) PAID work for papers/sites/corporations in another country.

I fully understand there are no circumstances in which paid work in the US for anyone other than the L1 employer would be acceptable. All of the above situations apart from the second half of the fourth assume no compensation ? and that is only for work submitted abroad.

I've read that volunteer work (e.g. soup **** *** type of thing) is allowed, so I'm curious to know if there are circumstances when submitting work in the US is permitted at all ? and if paid work abroad would ever be allowed.

Thanks in advance.
    As long as you are not getting money (in any form) from any of these organizations, you should be good to publish them.

Ensure to have your name & "freelancer" word added in author block.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X