L-1 visa for freelancers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L-1 visa for freelancers?

Is one requirement of the L-1 visa that the employee must work in the US office?

If I work from home as a freelancer for a UK company but will be transferred to the US to work for our US branch, again working from home as a freelancer for the US branch but actively doing required business in the US, would that make me ineligible for the visa?

Originally posted by simon86 View Post
    Is one requirement of the L-1 visa that the employee must work in the US office?

If I work from home as a freelancer for a UK company but will be transferred to the US to work for our US branch, again working from home as a freelancer for the US branch but actively doing required business in the US, would that make me ineligible for the visa?
    No, you are still eligible - you just need to be paid by your US branch in USD & you'll need to pay taxes in USA.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Thanks for that. Out of curiosity, is that the same for H-1B visa holders as well, where they're allowed to work from home as a freelancer for a US company?

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
      No, you are still eligible - you just need to be paid by your US branch in USD & you'll need to pay taxes in USA.

Comment

Originally posted by simon86 View Post
        Thanks for that. Out of curiosity, is that the same for H-1B visa holders as well, where they're allowed to work from home as a freelancer for a US company?
        To be more clear, you need to work (in office or remote) for your petitioned company only & get paid by them only.

You cannot work for any other company or individual & get paid by them directly. like doing uber work.

This applies for all non-immigrant work related visas.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X