Advice on J1 -> L1B (or Marriage/K1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on J1 -> L1B (or Marriage/K1)

Came to the US on a 12 month J1 visa in Jan 2018.
    My work J1 visa expires on Jan 11th 2019 and will be leaving the US Jan 18th 2019.
    Currently applying for an L1B which I am about to respond to an RFE for (won't find out the result of the L1B until I have left the US).

Wondering if I should marry my partner and potentially be able to stay in the US and continue working? Or return home and hope for the best and apply for the K1 fiancé visa if the L1B is denied. But head the K1 can take 9 months to process?

If I was to get married now, would I be able to continue working legally, or would I need to wait for green card and EAD applications to process. Also wondering if I got married now, would I be able to leave and enter the country again while these are processing. Or do I need to wait for them to be approved before traveling?
    Any advice or recommendations on best action would be greatly appreciate

Originally posted by mkhll View Post
    Came to the US on a 12 month J1 visa in Jan 2018.
    My work J1 visa expires on Jan 11th 2019 and will be leaving the US Jan 18th 2019.
    Currently applying for an L1B which I am about to respond to an RFE for (won't find out the result of the L1B until I have left the US).

Wondering if I should marry my partner and potentially be able to stay in the US and continue working? Or return home and hope for the best and apply for the K1 fiancé visa if the L1B is denied. But head the K1 can take 9 months to process?

If I was to get married now, would I be able to continue working legally, or would I need to wait for green card and EAD applications to process. Also wondering if I got married now, would I be able to leave and enter the country again while these are processing. Or do I need to wait for them to be approved before traveling?
    Any advice or recommendations on best action would be greatly appreciate
    First, does your J1 have a 2-year home residency requirement? Because if it does, you cannot get L1, K1, or permanent residency until you are physically present in your home country for 2 year after your J1, or you get the requirement waived.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      First, does your J1 have a 2-year home residency requirement? Because if it does, you cannot get L1, K1, or permanent residency until you are physically present in your home country for 2 year after your J1, or you get the requirement waived.
      Thankfully my J1 is not subject to the 2 year rule.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X