Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 visa and arriving in the US practicalities

Hello all,

I have some practical questions reg. the desicion to move (and work) in the US with an L1 visa:

(1) With a L1 Visa you cannot enter the country before 10 days before the working start date. In order to start working you need a Social Security number (SSN), which takes minimum 2 weeks to get, and they also recommend not to apply for a SSN before 10 days after arrival to the US (https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf). So how did you get around this?
    (2) One also needs a SSN in order to get a rental house/apt, so where do you guys live in the mean time? I assume that you cannot have an adress registered at a hotel or AirBNB...
    (3) One also needs a SSN in order to obtain a bank account (for your salary to be transferred etc).

Thanks...

Originally posted by Triphelp View Post
    Hello all,

I have some practical questions reg. the desicion to move (and work) in the US with an L1 visa:

(1) With a L1 Visa you cannot enter the country before 10 days before the working start date. In order to start working you need a Social Security number (SSN), which takes minimum 2 weeks to get, and they also recommend not to apply for a SSN before 10 days after arrival to the US (https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf). So how did you get around this?
    (2) One also needs a SSN in order to get a rental house/apt, so where do you guys live in the mean time? I assume that you cannot have an adress registered at a hotel or AirBNB...
    (3) One also needs a SSN in order to obtain a bank account (for your salary to be transferred etc).

Thanks...
    Day one after landing in USA, check in into a hotel & "Apply" for SSN - it can be delivered in a week to either your hotel or your local friend's address.

You can open account without an SSN as non-resident alien & can provide it later within 1-2 months to convert your account to resident alien.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Triphelp View Post
      Hello all,

Thanks...

I came with my family and hence could not share apartment with friends.I also had the same problem.

1.Company had given forex card with some amount.Some cash advance also.
      2.You dont need SSN to rent a house.But the advance will be double, which will be refunded when u vacate the house.
      Also you need to pay rent for the month up front.
      3.My friends who were already in US had searched a house for me and also helped with the extra money for step 3.I paid them back when I got my Salary.
      4.SSN is not needed to open bank account.SSN is needed to credit your salary.

See if you can stay with your friends (sharing the cost etc) for couple of months untill you settle down.Else plan ahead and arrange things.
      Good luck!!!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X