No announcement yet.

Blanket L1 - what if I change employer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blanket L1 - what if I change employer?

I'm here under a blanket L1 but I'd like to change jobs, what are my options, can I change status? is it even possible? What time scale do I have to leave US if I quit my job? If I find another employer are they able to transfer my status?

Thanks

L1 cannot be transferred to any random employer.

You can change your status to/apply for H1. A new cap-subject H1 can only be filed next year beginning April 1st, 2009.

I think you need to read more on the subject.
    Last edited by DMX17; 04-08-2008, 06:33 PM.
    Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Originally posted by DMX17
      L1 cannot be transferred to any random employer.

You can change your status to/apply for H1. A new cap-subject H1 can only be filed next year beginning April 1st, 2009.

I think you need to read more on the subject.
      Thanks for the link but I don't see any information on that page (I'd already read it) to tell me what happens if I leave my job. I also don't know if H1 is my only option. Can anyone else offer help? I wasn't expecting to be able to transfer to any 'random employer' it would be good to understand if an employer who needs my skills can take over my visa.

Thanks

Comment

L1 Transfer...

Ask yourself whether you qualify for any other employer than your current L1 petitioner.

"(i) General. Under section 101(a)(15)(L) of the Act, an alien who within the preceding three years has been employed abroad for one continuous year by a qualifying organization may be admitted temporarily to the United States to be employed by a parent, branch, affiliate, or subsidiary of that employer in a managerial or executive capacity, or in a position requiring specialized knowledge. An alien transferred to the United States under this nonimmigrant classification is referred to as an intracompany tr ansferee and the organization which seeks the classification of an alien as an intracompany transferee is referred to as the petitioner."

OR How many employers did you work for at least a year in the last 3 years?

An L1 holder is called an "intra-company transferee" for some reason.
        Check out H1 FAQs first!
        http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Desperate situation

I'm here under a blanket L1 but I'd like to change jobs, what are my options, can I change status? is it even possible? What time scale do I have to leave US if I quit my job? If I find another employer are they able to transfer my status?

---- It is very clear from your post that you are frustrated with your present employer on L1 and want to change jobs immediately. Understand that this is not possible for L1, however much you may try and cry. If somebody can do something it is only by a miracle.

---- The other option is apply for a non-cap H1 if you are qualified to do research and teaching at an institution of higher learning. You can also go as a teacher in a school if it to your liking (salary notwithstanding)

---- For heaven's do not try anything absurd. You will hurt yourself and after that it will be a bigger mess

---- If you have come to the US on some rosy picture and stories (as you appear to have, although you may deny) then remember that this is a bed of thorns along with roses. Accept it or not, live with it.

---- Else go back to your home country and live happily. There is no need of any emotion here. You have not researched everything. Due to that you are posting your query and the responses you will get are of that kind

Subramanya

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X