Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1-B to Greencard

Hi,

i have been working in the US for 6 months on an L1-B visa. my visa expires August 2009. I am a product manager for tech products here and have been with this company for 2 and a half years, and joined them originally in their outsourced office in Pakistan.

1. I want to apply for a greencard, however I have no clue where to start and what options I have. I would like to know all the options i have available, and if possible, some insight on time durations it takes would be nice too. References to some lawyers and expenses involved would be appreciated.

2. I understand that an L1-A takes less time than an L1-B, what requirements are there to convert from an L1-B to an L1-A and what kind of time duration is involved for such processing.

Thanks
    Ali

1) This part would take forever to answer. L1-B GC is no different than other EB GCs. Do your own research and reading. Start on immihelp.

PERM --> I-140 (EB-2, EB-3, or EB-1 ) --> I-485

2) L1A is for intra-company transferees who have worked in the company/affiliate abroad for at least one year in the last three years in a managerial/executive capacity. L1A holders may qualify for a EB-1C GC which of course is quick.
    Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

with reference to the previous posts.
      I am having L1B expiring June 2009.
      Can I apply for GC?
      Further does the same employer who has my L1B visa apply for my GC or any other employer can do that?

Please advice.

Comment

with reference to the previous posts.
        I am having L1B expiring June 2009.
        Can I apply for GC?
        Further does the same employer who has my L1B visa apply for my GC or any other employer can do that?
        You can not apply for GC for yourself.

Yes same L1B employer can file GC

Your future employer can apply for your GC. In that case, you need to find an employer who is ready to file your GC.

If company's (located in US) reputation is good it takes approx 12-15 months for the whole GC process otherwise it may go longer.

Its bit easier to get GC in L1 category as this category falls under "Skilled Specialty Worker"
        I am not a lawyer and this is not a legal advice. Use it at your own risk. Consult professionals before getting into an action.

Comment

Originally posted by itzprams
          If company's (located in US) reputation is good it takes approx 12-15 months for the whole GC process otherwise it may go longer.
          From when has it become so fast? 12-15 months for the whole GC process? Are you kidding?

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

From when has it become so fast? 12-15 months for the whole GC process? Are you kidding?
            Yes, one of my friends from Indian company got his gc in just 14 months through a giant insurance company.
            Last edited by itzprams; 09-16-2008, 02:11 PM.
            I am not a lawyer and this is not a legal advice. Use it at your own risk. Consult professionals before getting into an action.

Comment

There is no one size fits all. Probably EB1 case. For rest of the categories from India or China, the wait is endless

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by itzprams
                Yes, one of my friends from Indian company got his gc in just 14 months through a giant insurance company.
                There is no one size fits all. Probably EB1 case. For rest of the categories from India or China, the wait is endless.

I have worked and am working for fortune 25 companies and am still waiting and counting a decade and more. I now regret not going for my PhD and dropping out of school

Comment

There is no one size fits all. Probably EB1 case. For rest of the categories from India or China, the wait is endless.
                  Not sure about his case type. But I think it upto attorney how to put up that case.

I have one of friends working through top Indian company and waiting for GC (same company) since last 2 years however his LC was approved recently.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b

I have worked and am working for fortune 25 companies and am still waiting and counting a decade and more. I now regret not going for my PhD and dropping out of school
                    I can imagine how excited you felt when you saw the Oct 2008 Visa Bulletin.

Let's go to our home country and come back on L1. We will get GCs in 14 months if the lawyer puts case intelligently.
                    Check out H1 FAQs first!
                    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Originally posted by DMX17
                      I can imagine how excited you felt when you saw the Oct 2008 Visa Bulletin.
                      So excited that I had to throw a party for it!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X