==> Changing from L2 to L1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ==> Changing from L2 to L1

I am on an L1B. I married my wife recently here in the US. She is not a US citizen but has been here studying on an F1 visa. However she is now out of F1 status so she returned to her home country. She is currently going through the process of applying for an L2.

However, she has just been offered a job with a US company who are offering to give her an L1B. She is due to receive the L2 in the next couple of days. The L1 will take quite a while longer for her to get. She wants to come here as soon as possible.

- Can she enter on the L2 and change her status to L1 when the paperwork has been completed by the US co.? (so she doesn't have to wait 3 months for the EAD)

- If she enters on L2 and gets COS to L1 to work for the US co. she will presumably have to get the L1 stamp to be able to travel in and out of the US? Can this only be done by returning to her home country?

- In relation to the above question, could she travel on the L2, but work on the L1 on an ongoing basis until she goes back to her home country to get the stamp?

- Is there anything else that she may have to consider?

Thanks

How can she work on L1? Did she work for the company for 1 year in the past 3 years?
    http://immihelp.comhttps://www.immih.../usa-visas/l1/

She could possibly work on L2 EAD instead. Read more on immihelp.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks txh1b, you seem to answer everyone's questions on this forum!!!

Yes, she does qualify for the L1 as she worked for the same company in her native country for at least 12 months within the last 36, and meets all the other criteria.

So I did some further research and I think I'm right in saying that if she gets COS from L2 to L1, she would not be able to use the L2 to travel as the COS makes the L2 redundant. She would have to get the stamp outside of the US which is most easily done in her home country, but may be possible in MX or CA. Looks like the quickest way to do it, is for her to get the L2 next week, come to the US, then COS when the L1 is ready. She will have to fly back home again to get the L1 stamp and re-enter on that and everything should be ok. I think....!

Thanks again.

Comment

AbhishekW_L2EAD_L1A_CONVERSION

Hi,
        Please support !!

I am currently in India ( working for an MNC ) and got a transfer to US in same organisation on L2-EAD.
        My spouse ( wife ) is already in US on L1B.

My new project is planning to transfer me to L1A.

It is 10 months for me in current project.

What is the process for C.O.S. ( change of status )...Will it impact my transfer in any case...

Please help

Cheers !!
        Abhishek W

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X