Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange I94 issue

Hello,

My new L1B blanket petition got approved till 14 June 2012.
    I went out of the US on Sept 27, got a new visa stamped till 14 June 2012 from Mumbai consulate.

Yesterday I came back to the US. My port of entry was EWR (NJ).
    The immigration officer menntioned the date of 14 June 2010 in the I94.
    I came to know this after I went to take my baggage. There I asked a lady officer and she asked me to talk to the customs officer. The customs officer told me there is nothing wron and I can stay continously till 14 June 2012. But, I know the I94 is more important than the visa stamp for a person's stay in the US.
    Then, he told me to tall to an officer. I went and spoke to one of the inspectors and he corrected it to 2012 with a pen. He did not enter anything in the computer.
    I asked him it could be that the computer records still say 14 June 2010. He told me it does not matter as my visa is stamped till 2012.

Do you see any potential problem here ? If yes, then could you suggest a solution ?

You need to go to deferred inspection office and check the record as the arrival portion of the I-94 will still have the 2010 date.

They definitely need to update the other portion of the I-94 which the computer will not have a record of for a few days after arrival.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Could you tell me where is the deferred inspection office ?
      I don't live near EWR office. Is it possible to go to any airport in the US ?

Comment

Most international airports with international arrivals has it. Small ones don't.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Okay! I'm planning to go to Boston next week.
          Boston has an international airport. Whom do I need to contact ?

Comment

Deferred inspection office of CBP. Usually they are located in the international arrivals section.

Comment

Thank you, TxH1B.
              So, what are the docs that I need to carry with me ?
              Passport, L1B petition, pay stub and W2 copies. Anything else part from this ?

If they find that the system is 2010 same as my I94, will they change it to 2012 in the system and issue me a new I94 ?

Comment

Ask them to write the date on the PP also. They may issue a new I-94. In most cases, they just correct the existing one and the arrival record associated with it.

The usual docs would suffice.

Comment

Thank you, TxH1B for being so patient with me !
                  This year in November, I might go to India again for a family function.
                  If I do not go to the CBP office now, will my coming back to the US after attending the function correct the record ? Or does it again depend on the officer at POE ?

Comment

Just wanted to add an other point. My passport is expiring on 7th Oct 2011.
                    Could this be the reason ?

Comment

If you have travel plans before the current I-94 expiry date, don't even bother to change anything. In case your travel plans change, then your company may have to apply for a L1 extension or you would be forced to travel before the I-94 expires.

When you return again, you will get the correct date.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X