Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1B Maximum Duration

Hi,

I did some search and found out that L1B is initially given for 3 years with the possibility of one time extension of 2 years. I want to know when does this 3 + 2 years maximum limit of stay starts...
    a) When the L1B status is authorized from USA? or
    b) When a visa is stamped based on approved L1B status? or
    c) At the time of entry in the USA?

Regards

It is the time that you spend in U.S under the L1B status.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for quick response.

Just to clarify further. Lets say I come to USA one year after approval of L1 status. So will I need to apply for extension after two years in USA or three years in USA?

Comment

You need to apply for the extension before your I-94 (that you receive at the POE) expires.

Originally posted by dexterz View Post
        Thanks for quick response.

Just to clarify further. Lets say I come to USA one year after approval of L1 status. So will I need to apply for extension after two years in USA or three years in USA?

Comment

Ah...
          My I-94 date is such that instead of three years, it gave me two years. Thats because I entered USA one year after my L1B status was approved.
          Thus I will need to file for extension just two years after my stay here in USA. Now the question I have is, upon the expiry of that extension, will I be able to legally stay for one more year since the "duration of stay" is still four years or I will need to go back to my home country.

Comment

L1B in total is for 5 years. When you are inside U.S, the expiry of the petition doesn't matter. All that matters is the I-94 expiry and you maintaining the valid L1B status. You can apply for extension any number of time until you reach the 5 year limit (You should file for extension before your I-94 expiry). You stay past your I-94 expiry will be considered illegal, unless you file for the extension and get it approved.

Recapturing the time spent outside U.S:
            http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=186693

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X